Anyone use a Moto-x-Caddy or Moto-Sled???

14 replies to this topic

Posted July 10, 2001 - 05:17 PM

I was wondering how they ride. Whats the good points and bad points? This is the carrier that slides into the receiver hitch and your bike rides sideways, like a mountain bike, but the bike sits in a channel.

------------------
2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed, Gray Wire Mod.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 10, 2001 - 07:04 PM

I have a carrier pretty much the same as the Moto X Caddy. Personally it has been great since I own an SUV and my buddy gets tired of coming to get me in his truck every time we go to ride. I have had absolutely zero stability problems with the carrier, even on bumpy roads. I've heard of others hitting the bars on the back window of their SUV or tail gate on hard stops, however, my class 3 hitch seems to give me quite bit of room. I'd say 6-8 inches at least. If you drive a truck, you can get 3 bikes in the back and one more on the carrier. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase.

• mcarp

Posted July 11, 2001 - 05:03 AM

Check out the motojackrack. Not quite the same as the caddy. I like it because it's easy to load/unload, is quite stable, and doesn't crush the suspension down like traditional tie down methods. The thing really works!
www.motojackrack.com

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 11, 2001 - 06:03 AM

Sup, I've been using the Motocaddy since 1990 and I've had ZERO problems, My dad has the motojack rack and he loves it, the way I look at it is the Motocaddy is really fast to put on and off of the vehicle and is really light to carry, while the Motojack rack is more complexed and heavier but is more solid when the bike is mounted. I like the fact that you can work on your bike and lube the chain when the bikes up on the MJR. But im always picking up my bike and dropping it off somewhere so the Motocaddy works best for me just cause it's so much easier and faster to put on. In conclusion for a long haul the MJR is probably the way to go but for quick trips to the track I'de go with the Motocaddy.

Posted July 11, 2001 - 05:59 PM

What is the distance from the front of the mount to where the channel starts? Or how far back des the channel sit from the front? For a Moto-type Caddy. By the way I plan on using this on my 95 S-10 blazer 4dr (has towing package), with a hitch that has 350lbs. tounge weight rating. You guys see any problems?

------------------
2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed, Gray Wire Mod.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 11, 2001 - 06:32 PM

696, The distance between the channel and receiver is about 18 inches. You know, You can make a Motocaddy yourself, so far I've made two and you can't tell mine from a genuine, the parts total with 2x2x1/4 tube will run about $99.00 Funny you mentioned the S10, thats what I had before I bought an F150, I carried a bike on the back of the S10 with the caddy with no problems.

Posted July 12, 2001 - 08:17 AM

Dan, I am making one myself. A friend of mine is a welder and figured the cost of material is $100. So we are making one tonight. I just want to make sure the bike is far enough back so it doesn't hit my rear window, but close enough not to strain the hitch. Any other words of widsom before I go???

------------------

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 12, 2001 - 10:28 AM

696, You'll need to buy 100 inches of channel, about 3 feet of 2x2 tubing, If I were you I wouldnt worry about the EXACT distance from the back of the car to the bike because you can always cut the tubing afterwards to get a custom fit. You can always put the bike on the rack without drilling the pin hole so you get the lenth that you want. Im going to assume that you'll want to lessen the slop (play) in the receiver (once the bike is loaded it will rock back and forth). Their are many ways to do this but the way I do it is to drill and tap a hole in one corner (5/16) of the receiver so that you can screw a bolt or knob in to jam the two pieced together. The motojack rack people also have a good idea.
Best of luck, if you want to talk, email me with your number and county code and I'll be glad to discuss it further...

Posted July 12, 2001 - 06:22 PM

Dan, thats the only problem I have....the little bit of play at the hitch has been magnifed at the end where the bike sits. It's not enough where I think the bike will come off, it just moves around a little So I should drill and tap the top of the receiver so the 2x2 tubing and the hitch come together and eliminate the play? Can you strip out the bolt by doing this,(the one you tap for)? Do you drill through the top and bottom of the receiver? Does this eliminate the side to side play? What size thread should I use? And what is Motojacks idea to stop the play?
I might give you a call, I live in Indiana...and you?
Thanks, 696

------------------

• YamaCazi

Posted July 13, 2001 - 02:46 AM

Check with a local trailer dealer in your area. I found a device at a dealer that slides on between the hitch and the reciever then has two arms that go around the ends of the locking pin and can be adjusted to take the slop out of the receiver. It works great. I have used it with all my trailers and with my caddy.

Might be worth checking into for you.

• JamesD

Posted July 13, 2001 - 04:54 AM

I have a motojack rack and I love it. Easy to load and very stable. It has a bolt on the side that you tighten down to prevent the carrier from moving around in the hitch. There is a small amount of bike movement but not much. Less than a bike resting on it's suspension I'm sure.

One real nice thing about it is that it makes a pretty good bike stand for working on the bike. At least as long as you don't need to access the side to the vehicle.

My only complaint is that I have to put my spare tire inside when I use the mjr.

• YamaCazi

Posted July 17, 2001 - 08:31 AM

JAMESD....do you think that the mjr is sturdy enough to have an extension welded on to extend it so that it could be used on a Jeep with a spare on the back gate? I have been seriously considering buying one so I don't have to pull my 20 foot trailer around all the time...

Bonzai......... :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 17, 2001 - 10:44 AM

Originally posted by 696:
Dan, thats the only problem I have....the little bit of play at the hitch has been magnifed at the end where the bike sits. It's not enough where I think the bike will come off, it just moves around a little So I should drill and tap the top of the receiver so the 2x2 tubing and the hitch come together and eliminate the play? Can you strip out the bolt by doing this,(the one you tap for)? Do you drill through the top and bottom of the receiver? Does this eliminate the side to side play? What size thread should I use? And what is Motojacks idea to stop the play?
I might give you a call, I live in Indiana...and you?
Thanks, 696

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 17, 2001 - 10:47 AM

696, Sorry I havnt replied sooner, I've been gone all weekend riding..

Im in California, 818 557-1400 Work :)

• njw

Posted July 17, 2001 - 11:27 AM

I had a similiar problem requiring a longer shaft, and the MJR just made one for me, no extra cost and no hassle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.