'01 YZ426 Clutch Push Lever

14 replies to this topic
  • YammiBlaze

Posted November 10, 2004 - 09:50 AM

My clutch is super hard to pull. I checked cables, levers, perches, basket, springs, plates, everything; and nothing shows any sign of why it is so difficult to pull. I was talking to some people and they said one option was to extend the clutch push lever. Basically cut it, add metal, then weld back together. This would give more leverage. I am kind of hesitant on cutting and welding anything. Just wanted to get some feed back on this. Has anyone done this, heard of it being done? Does it work? Does it make the push lever weaker and more prone to breaking?

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

• Scooter426

Posted November 10, 2004 - 10:53 AM

you can also modify the lever where the little lead barrel attaches. I did this and it made a very big difference. You loose a bit of range (action) on the lever, but the effort was greatly reduced. Also try lubing the cable well and the lever connection point at the perch.
-scooter
:cry:

• Satch0922

Posted November 10, 2004 - 11:15 AM

on the 01, dont cut the actuator arm. Buy the 98-99 400F actuator arm, install it and then do the clutch lever mod (drilling out the lever to move the cable end closer to the pivot point....giving you more leverage). These two combined will make your clutch as easy as a YZ125!

Here is my original post:

I finally got around to installing the clutch actuator arm that I got from "Maniac" here on TT. The install was very easy and looks much better than the "modified" arm that was illustrated in MXA. I also did the clutch lever mod at the same time. WOW what a difference!! This has to be one of the best (and easiest) mods I have done to the bike! The clutch feels as light as a YZ125 now....no kidding. I highly recommend both of these modifications....DO IT NOW!

Step by step:
1. Drain the oil
2. Remove the clutch cable
3. Remove the clutch cover
4. remove the clutch pack
5. Pull the clutch basket out about 1/2 of an inch
6. Remove the bolt and retainer around the top of the clutch actuator arm
7. slide the actuator arm out and install the replacement
8. Postition the actuator arm and slide the clutch basket back in
9. Test the arm (while applying pressure against the clutch rod inside the basket , move the actuator arm to make sure it is moving the rod.
10. reinstall the clutch pack and the clutch cover (I reused the gasket as it came off with no damage and the Yamaha dealer said he had never sold one! Anyway it doesn't leak)
11. fill with oil and reattach the clutch cable
12. adjust the cable

Thanks to Maniac for the clutch arm and advice. Here are pictures of the arm installed.

http://homepage.mac....otoAlbum30.html

Here is the "clutch lever" mod as posted by "Gottaroost" on TT. I did this at the same time as the actuator arm.

just drilled my lever out today and relocated the cable barrel closer to the pivot point. Made a big difference! Then lubed it all, including the barrels with TriFlow...very nice feel. Here are some pics. http://img.photobuck.../PICT0003_1.jpg
I used a 21/64 bit for the main barrel hole, then an 1/8 bit to drill out and smooth the area where the cable pulls through. Careful not to drill the main hole too deep.

• YammiBlaze

Posted November 10, 2004 - 11:23 AM

Thanks.

• klokard

Posted November 10, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Try building up your forearms. If your cable is lubed and not kinked, the clutch shouldn't be that hard. Another option would be to go to a Magura hydraulic clutch. Just a few options and a very humble opinion.

• Satch0922

Posted November 10, 2004 - 05:48 PM

Klokard, save the money for a juice clutch and save the forearm strength for the whoops section LAP 6!!! The above is VERY easy and the clutch pull will be easier than even a juice clutch. I did it shortly after getting my 426 and others with 450's and 426's are amazed at the difference.....guess you could say they are now believers! LOL

• cowboyona426

Posted November 10, 2004 - 08:39 PM

on the 01, dont cut the actuator arm. Buy the 98-99 400F actuator arm...

The 00 has the longer actuator as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted November 11, 2004 - 07:51 PM

I would not hack, cut, or scab anything. :cry: do the mod using the older parts, or do what I did, go hydraulic. I can ride all day long with out "clutchpumpidous". :cry:

• Bryan47

Posted November 16, 2004 - 02:56 AM

go hydraulic. I can ride all day long with out "clutchpumpidous". :cry:

"clutchpumpidous". Haha, yep, I love my Hydraulic clutch! Definately the way to go! :cry:

• YammiBlaze

Posted November 16, 2004 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not going to cut anything. I think I am going to try to find a lever from either a 400 or '00 426. If anyone knows someone that wants to get rid of one, let me know.

Thanks again,
Dustin :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted November 16, 2004 - 06:00 PM

jsut remember it's the actuator arm you need .....not the lever.

• Scooter426

Posted November 17, 2004 - 10:54 AM

Hey Satch,
I did this same mod to my 2000 YZ426 on the hand lever and it worked the best of all the mods. Glad to see others are having success. I thought I came up with it, but it must be known by a few others. It was almost like the lever was meant to be that way (holes were even pre-marked).

• Scooter426

Posted November 17, 2004 - 10:56 AM

yammiblaze,
I have a spare 2000 YZ426 clutch lever. make me an offer I cannot refuse.It is new unused condition. In the package still.

• Vetmxrider

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:36 AM

Thanks to Satch for the "clutch lever" mod :cry: the pull/feel of my 2002 YZ426 clutch is GREAT! I'm new to ThumperTalk and so far I have done the "blue wire mod", the "James Now" mod, and the "BK" mod, all I can say is WOW! This place is great. Maybe some day I'll work up the guts to try the 450 cam swap.
Thanks again.
Ed

• Satch0922

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:46 AM

Thanks to Satch for the "clutch lever" mod :cry: the pull/feel of my 2002 YZ426 clutch is GREAT! I'm new to ThumperTalk and so far I have done the "blue wire mod", the "James Now" mod, and the "BK" mod, all I can say is WOW! This place is great. Maybe some day I'll work up the guts to try the 450 cam swap.
Thanks again.
Ed

Best part is that it did not cost a dime ! Some much for the "juice" clutches! LOL

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.