Getting a Steering Stabilizer....bugged out by mounting options

7 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted November 09, 2004 - 03:59 PM

So I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. I want to go with a GPR stabilizer. I'm currently running the stock '99 YZ400 top clamp, with a Renthal 1-1/8" fat bar with those post mount adapters that go on top of the non-removable bottom 7/8" bar clamp. If you're with me so far, then cool. So, my questions are:
1. Do I need to change out my triple clamp?
2. Is there a problem with me running those post-mount fat bar adapters on the 7/8" triple clamp (flex,strength,etc.)?
3. GPR says I need to have a triple clamp that has removeable bottom bar clamp in order to use a 1-1/8" bar, is this true?

Any ideas? Obviously the best option would be to get a trick triple clamp, go with the newest version of the GPR and be done, but I'm trying to stay in the $350 range on this item.

• mikedabike

Posted November 09, 2004 - 04:11 PM

Can't do it GPR says the pin for the stabilizer would be too long,create too much leverage and bend or break.

• MaxAZ

Posted November 09, 2004 - 05:58 PM

You've got the exact same bike/tripleclamp/bars/adapters I do. I went with a Scott's low mount. Cost was about $426 but new triple clamps will cost you too.
[image]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287667265&p=4187248317&idx=5[/image]
http://www.imagestat...187248394&idx=6
:cry:

• MaxAZ

Posted November 09, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Aaaargh! Why isn't my picture working?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted November 09, 2004 - 07:20 PM

So I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. I want to go with a GPR stabilizer. I'm currently running the stock '99 YZ400 top clamp, with a Renthal 1-1/8" fat bar with those post mount adapters that go on top of the non-removable bottom 7/8" bar clamp. If you're with me so far, then cool. So, my questions are:
1. Do I need to change out my triple clamp?
2. Is there a problem with me running those post-mount fat bar adapters on the 7/8" triple clamp (flex,strength,etc.)?
3. GPR says I need to have a triple clamp that has removeable bottom bar clamp in order to use a 1-1/8" bar, is this true?

Any ideas? Obviously the best option would be to get a trick triple clamp, go with the newest version of the GPR and be done, but I'm trying to stay in the $350 range on this item.

I never stop wondering why Yamaha still has the upper tripleclamp with firm bar mounts. They suck.
I would go for a BRP sub mount adapter and a Scotts stabilizer, but have to get a new clamp to do so.
Just got the sub mount and new tower for my friend's KTM 400 EXC 2005. It allows him to use the bar pad too. I can only recommend Scotts and BRP, Cameron Brewer at BRP gave the best customer service ever.
The package with the mount, clamp, tower and stabilizer will cost you much more than $350 though.

http://www.brpit.com.../sub_mount.html

http://www.brpit.com...nt_brp_full.jpg

• MaxAZ

Posted November 10, 2004 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

• sparks426

Posted November 10, 2004 - 06:31 PM

The BRP looks like an awesome setup, but are they available for Yamaha's yet? I use a Scotts on my 426, with the Scotts upper triple clamp. Under the bars would be nice, but I live with it. Just don't hit your face on the thing, tends to hurt!

• Fastest1

Posted November 10, 2004 - 06:39 PM

Get a Scotts and use the low mount, all problems will be solved and it will be safe. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.