adjusted my own valves

3 replies to this topic
  • scorch

Posted November 09, 2004 - 03:39 PM

Finally decided to learn how to adjust the valves. And it wasnt that hard.

It was just tricky getting a screwdriver in there and everytime I thought I had it right, I tightened the nut only to find out that while tightening it, the screw got a bit tight, and it did not allow the proper shim to get through. I tried again, and again and finaly got it right.

I havent fired her up, im waiting on a rear tire and a sparkplug now.

• needsprayer

Posted November 09, 2004 - 06:10 PM

It's great to learn to be your own mechanic. If you were sure about being on TDC then everything should be fine. And always clean the engine before taking off the valve covers. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoZerk

Posted November 09, 2004 - 08:04 PM

I just did mine not too long ago. Somebody posted a link here that gave perfect instuctions on how to do it. I just followed them and everything went fine....even started up and ran fine when I was done.

The only problem I had was getting my feeler gauge in there. I had to get the small gauge from the shop down the street to fit in there. Once I got that it was really easy.

So get that small feeler gauge instead of the big fat automotive one I had before you start. You'll be glad you did!

• jws

Posted November 10, 2004 - 05:00 AM

Somebody posted a link here that gave perfect instuctions on how to do it.

http://www.off-road..../XR650ValveAdj/

jeff :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.