I want more lower end pop on my piggy.

8 replies to this topic

Posted November 09, 2004 - 11:02 AM

Well my bike came with the powerbomb headers on them and I heard that improves top end. I want to get more low end pop so that I can loft the front wheel easier. Would re-gearing it be the best method? :cry: I heard some one say a pumper carb would help that also but not sure if that is true or not. I'm running 15/47 now and I don't see much need with my riding ability to go faster than 90-100 so I want to get it more set up for low end torque. Any ideas would be appreciated. :cry: Thanks! :cry:

• JackAttack

Posted November 09, 2004 - 12:26 PM

Go 13/47, you should be happy with the "pop" then. :cry:

You should be able to use the same chain length and switch back and forth between the 13 and 15 tooth front depending on where you want to ride that weekend.

Keep an eye on the swingarm chain slider(bottom) for excessive wear from the chain angle. :cry:

Posted November 09, 2004 - 12:28 PM

So your thinking the best method to get more out of the bottom end is to re-gear. best/only method?

• JackAttack

Posted November 09, 2004 - 12:32 PM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted November 09, 2004 - 12:48 PM

Yeah you can't beat a $20.00 job. Appreciate the quick response J :cry: :cry:

• malevolent73

Posted November 09, 2004 - 05:25 PM

Pumper Carbs are really nice though!!!! Consider it "Dial A wheelie"!!! I have a Keihin 41mm FCR, WHACK it and HOLD ON!!
:cry: :cry:

• J_T

Posted November 09, 2004 - 05:46 PM

Yea I went pumper carb for the reason to get back the low-end that I lost with the exhaust too...and it is so much better! everyone talks about the stock exhaust so I tried it to compare and it is almost the same with pumper carb and my exhaust as stock exhaust with my stock carb! I love it...no hesitation! I then went to 13/50 for woods riding and it has almost too much snap!

15/47 is geared up...14/48 is stock... if you are a member of the yahoo groups there is an excel gearing calculator at

Yahoo Group Files
Its called "Gearing_calc_XR650R.xls"
that gives you an idea of speeds at different gearing as well as chain lengths! then you can see what you are willing to sacrifice!

Ride a bike with a pumper carb and you'll love it!

• J_T

Posted November 09, 2004 - 05:51 PM

I also just saw that you are in CA so you are probably ridding road and desert so you would know better about the gearing needed there...we don't need that speed here in TN Call Rob Barnum at Barnumspro.com he sells the Edelbrock and can answer any questions about it and its application...He doesn't come across as one that will try to sell you something you don't need. Maybe 680 kit is what you need :cry:

Hope you get it worked out

• Winkel

Posted November 09, 2004 - 08:35 PM

It's actually pretty easy to determine your anticipated top speed. The gear ratio is driver divided by driven. Just take the front teeth number, divided by the rear teeth number, multiply that figure by 100 (current top speed), and that will be your new top speed. (13/47)x100. Hope this helps.
Wink :cry:

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.