GPS suggestions $200 to $300 Price range

11 replies to this topic
  • Victor Champion

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:27 PM

Looking for a GPS unit. Nothing too fancy needed. I will be using it for trail riding and marking trails. I'd like to leave tracks so i can find my way back out. (bread crumb trails). I also want to be able to download topo maps.
Would like a large screen that is easy to view in the direct sunlight. I am familiar with etrex but would like a larger screen.
Any suggestions? :cry:

• washinout

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:37 PM

Garmin Rino 120... very nice!!
Posted Image
http://cgi.ebay.com/...5729349795&rd=1

• ddialogue

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:59 PM

Whatever Garmin you get, I would highly recommend a model with a color display. You will pay more but the display is MUCH nicer and you will be happier in the long run. I found it was difficult to discern between the previous tracks and the current tracks on my greyscale screen but have no problems with the color display. It's pure eye candy...oh, and it's functional too! I LOVE my Vista C!! :cry:

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 08, 2004 - 07:39 PM

Probably the best bang for the buck in that price range is the GPS V. Not the most current model but it has a good record for reliability on bikes and a decent sized screen. A great deal right now for $244.95. Go here:

GPS NOW

I would stay away from the Etrex's if you intend to mount the unit on the bike. They seem to not be as vibration tolerant as the other Garmin units.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted November 08, 2004 - 07:53 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about the Garmin GPSMAP 76. on sale at various place for $250.00 to 299.00+$50.00 mail-in rebate.

• ddialogue

Posted November 09, 2004 - 05:54 AM

I would stay away from the Etrex's if you intend to mount the unit on the bike. They seem to not be as vibration tolerant as the other Garmin units.

My eTrex Legend went 4,600 miles on my WR450 before I replaced it with the eTrex Vista C. I ran it in a RAM mount and cradle with the 2 1/2" arm which provides plenty of vibration dampening. I never had a single problem with it. :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted November 09, 2004 - 06:54 AM

My eTrex Legend went 4,600 miles on my WR450 before I replaced it with the eTrex Vista C. I ran it in a RAM mount and cradle with the 2 1/2" arm which provides plenty of vibration dampening. I never had a single problem with it. :cry: :cry:

[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it worked out for you. We've had two in our group that have had intermittent joystick problems. Mine is mounted up with a RAM mount as well. From what I've heard the keypad on the v/76/etc is a little more robust. I'm getting ready to mount my GPS V on the bike and buy a 276c for the truck :cry:. We'll see how it works out.

• Victor Champion

Posted November 09, 2004 - 06:58 AM

Thanks guys.
Good information.
I like the radio capability of the rino.
I'm getting two.
Thanks

• ddialogue

Posted November 09, 2004 - 07:00 AM

Interesting that you note the joystick problem! My brother had to have his Vista joystick repaired (his failed before putting it on his bike) and according to the rep he spoke with at Garmin, they have redesigned the joysticks because of a high rate of failure. His was two years out of warranty and they fixed it for free and put a new case on it as well. His Vista was a year older than my Legend.

:cry:

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 09, 2004 - 07:06 AM

Interesting that you note the joystick problem! My brother had to have his Vista joystick repaired (his failed before putting it on his bike) and according to the rep he spoke with at Garmin, they have redesigned the joysticks because of a high rate of failure. His was two years out of warranty and they fixed it for free and put a new case on it as well. His Vista was a year older than my Legend.

Wow my buddy's going to be bummed. They charged him $100 to fix his!

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted November 09, 2004 - 10:26 AM

Hey PD,

Why not just use the 276C on the bike too? That's the unit I'm going to get in the spring to replace my GPS V. I just want color and a bigger screen that's easier to read at speed. Just wondering if there are any negatives in your mind for not using it on the bike. JUMBOTRON for the bike!

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 09, 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hey PD,

Why not just use the 276C on the bike too? That's the unit I'm going to get in the spring to replace my GPS V. I just want color and a bigger screen that's easier to read at speed. Just wondering if there are any negatives in your mind for not using it on the bike. JUMBOTRON for the bike!

Just too much money to wad up on my next crash. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.