bashed frame tube

8 replies to this topic
  • thumpasaurus

Posted November 08, 2004 - 01:15 PM

Went riding this weekend up in the mountains. At one point there was this long straightish uphill w/ nice peaky water bars all the way up for jumping. I came off one of these jumps and landed smack on top of a rock sticking up shaped like a football. I pulle over to make sure oil wasn't spilling, but didn't notice the rail.

Just now I was cleaning it up and noticed the bottom left side frame tube nearest the stator cover is hammered flat. If the stator cover was a clock it would be about 7:30.

I am really going to get a bash plate now, but is it too late? I don't see a crack, but should I do something about it?

• frankstr

Posted November 08, 2004 - 03:26 PM

If its not cracked I wouldn't worry IMO.

• needsprayer

Posted November 08, 2004 - 03:49 PM

The frame is hollow and used for oil circulation, that's why you have a removable downtube screen built into the frame. Just how flat is flat? Also, I would be concerned about any jumps until you get a real skidplate.

• mikekay

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:25 PM

I can deal with the footpeg that falls off, the inadequate cooling system, the airbox that leaks, the silly little fuel tank, the pathetic carb, lame bars, horrible headlight, girly-man suspension and butt-plugged motor:
but why on gods green earth did they put a plastic skid plate on this thing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:33 PM

You left out the constipated exhaust. :cry:

The plastic skidplate makes a good dog poop scooper upper. :cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:50 PM

I can deal with the footpeg that falls off, the inadequate cooling system, the airbox that leaks, the silly little fuel tank, the pathetic carb, lame bars, horrible headlight, girly-man suspension and butt-plugged motor:
but why on gods green earth did they put a plastic skid plate on this thing?

I replaced the plastic skid plate immediately with a aluminum one from Baja Designs which is on its second bike and still looks decent. I was suprized at how well the plastic one could take a hit. I doubt it's any worse than the carbon fibre that is so popular because of it's cosmetic appeal.

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:21 PM

The frame is hollow and used for oil circulation, that's why you have a removable downtube screen built into the frame. Just how flat is flat? Also, I would be concerned about any jumps until you get a real skidplate.

I don't think the oil goes all the way down there. I'm talking about a section of tube practically under the motor. It's caved in pretty good though..

• bluestragler

Posted November 08, 2004 - 07:04 PM

You are right. The oil just follows the down tube. I've seen bikes with totally flattend frame tubes under the motor and still running strong. I'd just hate to have to remove the engine, as I think that's what's holding the bike together!

• B0b

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:37 PM

If I can add my 2 cents here... I had the exact same problem last summer on my xr600, dinged the frame pretty good, only on the right side of the frame.
This summer I hit a small jump very badly while out on the trails. The front end landed very hard and the frame twisted on the left side of the downtube splitting the frame and the downtube open slightly. I didn't lose much oil from the split, but about 1/4 litre leaked out over a 4 hour period (didn't notice the problem until later that night on my way back).
I got a welder to weld some support over the flattened part and fix the leak and everything is fine again (so far). But it was a royal piss off at the time. I don't think an xr's frame needs to be any weaker than it is, especially with the heavy motor it needs to support.
So anyway, that was my experience with that kind of problem and you're free to deal with it any way you choose.
If you do get something welded on there, unhook all of your electrical. no use turning a $50 welding job into a blown up cdi box.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.