changing oil

6 replies to this topic
  • TexN343

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:45 AM

I'm pretty new when it comes to 4-strokes but I have to change my oil on my yz450f. I read my manual but I couldn't figure out what it said to take off. I found the oil drain plug on the bottom and removed it and drained the oil like that. I know there is a filter to replace but can't find it. And is there something called frame oil? Some pictures of these things would really help me out. Thanks! :cry:

• gonzo

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:59 AM

In the front of the bike on the downtube is a bolt. That's for the frame. Then there is the one underneath the motor that you already drained. There is one more just under the shifter that is right inline with the frame. It's an 8 mil and its a pain but no matter what anyone else on here says you need to drain it. The filter is under the header right next to the clutch. It requires an 8 mil socket and a 5 mil allen.

• Wyatt

Posted November 08, 2004 - 09:39 AM

I am not blasting you, but the manual is pretty straight forward. If you can't figure it out by reading the manual and looking at the pics there, take it to a shop and have someone teach you before you tear something up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 08, 2004 - 12:52 PM

There is one more just under the shifter that is right inline with the frame. It's an 8 mil and its a pain but no matter what anyone else on here says you need to drain it.

o.k. fill me in on this one,because the two times i did that one very little oil came out,so if you change your oil every ride(as i do)what harm could that not even an ounce of dirty oil do? :cry:

• TexN343

Posted November 08, 2004 - 12:55 PM

I know I'm not going to mess anything up by changing my oil. lol I did all my maintenance on my 125( I can probably change a top end in 5mins) I would just rather learn how to do it myself rather than waste money on something easy like this. Thanks Gonzo that pretty much helped me out a lot. The picture I couldn't figure out was the drain my the lever. That is probably the hardest bolt to get back on. lol.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 08, 2004 - 01:04 PM

One just as critical has not even been mentioned here. Why is that?

Loosen the bolt that connects the oil line to the engine just below the oil filter. It holds a considerable amount of contaminated oil.

• Wyatt

Posted November 08, 2004 - 02:15 PM

One just as critical has not even been mentioned here. Why is that?

Loosen the bolt that connects the oil line to the engine just below the oil filter. It holds a considerable amount of contaminated oil.

Thats how I drain my oil from the frame. I never loosen the frame drain bolt. You get a much more complete drain this way.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.