Standing position seems awkward.

15 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:32 AM

I'm 6' tall with size 11 boots. on my '99 YZ400, I have renthal fat bars with the stock triple clamp and the fat bar adapter. My sitting position feels awesome, but when I stand I feel like I'm reaching too far down, I'm not comfortable. Watching my buddy stand, he's 5'10", it just looks like he's in alot better position. I've seen the foot peg mod, but at 6' do I really qualify for that mod? Would just taller bars be a better answer?

• Thumper38

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:44 AM

Do the foot peg mod it works really well! I did the pegs and tall bars it works perfect for me, I have lots of room! :cry:

• motomike137

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:46 AM

I don't know what height bars you currently have but what would help most would be an upper clamp that allows you to move your bars forward. I'm 6'1" and run Windham bend Pro Tapers (They are relatively tall) a GYT clamp with the bar clamp in the forward most position. This really opens up the riding position nicely for a bigger guy. It puts the bars up and out in front of you closer making it much easier to push/pull against them. :cry:

• Pothole

Posted November 08, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Do the foot peg mod it works really well! I did the pegs and tall bars it works perfect for me, I have lots of room! :cry:

How tall are you? Did you have to adjust the shifter and/or brake pedal after lowering the pegs?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 08, 2004 - 09:37 AM

i did the peg mod also,i'm 6'4" and used to use thumper racing bar risers before getting the proper bar/clamp setuo. they worked very well and come in both 7/8 and 1 1/8 - 1"up and 1" forward or 1 1/2" both ways,they were kinda pricey but quality pieces. :cry: :cry:

• Aaron

Posted November 08, 2004 - 10:07 AM

I have done bars (jimmy button), tall seat and fastway lowboy pegs and the difference between stock is amazing.
i am 6'5"

• Scooter426

Posted November 08, 2004 - 10:14 AM

I am 6' 1" and on my 2000 yz426 I did the SDG tall seat, aftermarket pegs, Applied triple clamp with tall (10mm taller) bar clamps in the forward position. I also install Pro Taper CR high bend bars. All of this made the bike fit me perfectly.

• Gizabious

Posted November 08, 2004 - 01:57 PM

The only problems with the foot peg mod are 1) the kickstart takes a hammering, it won't make contact with the flat side of the foot peg but rather the teeth. 2) i found that every now and then a foot peg would catch when the bike's fully leant over in a corner. I changed back to the standard position but couldn't live with the shorter distance between peg and shifter so changed back. I also had to cut about 5mm off the rear brake adjusting rod to get the brake pedal where i wanted it, had to stretch the rear brake spring about 10mm so the pedal had some feel. But if you're a taller rider it's well worth the effort

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted November 08, 2004 - 05:56 PM

I've heard of the mod, but could you go into it with a little more detail?

What are you guys using to lower the pegs?

I'm also 6'4" and riding standing up just isn't an option for me. I feel like I can't hold onto the bike as my knees are even with the top of the seat...

• Satch0922

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:19 PM

Check out this post...courtesy of some dude named EGOALLENPOE.....who the heck would that be? LOL :cry:

Foot Peg Mod

• chan708

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:23 PM

I'm 6'2". When the bike was stock I had problems while standing also. My knees were above the seat so gripping with legs was very difficult.

My set up now is the SDG tall seat (made significant difference) and Renthal 971 Windham/Carmichael bend. I have better leverage and control with these two mods only. I feel this is a good economical setup.

Many previously mentioned mods would achieve the results you want; triple clamps and footpeg mod. A word of caution... I tried the Button Renthals and didn't like them because they have too much sweep in the bend. I didn't have as much leverage on the bars. Just my experience though. I have read many posts from riders who love the jimmy buttons.

chan :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:27 PM

Pro Taper Windham bend, SDG tall seat, footpeg mod :cry:

I am 6'1" and shrinking........
Posted Image

• chan708

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:39 PM

Satch,

What triple clamp do you use with the pro tapers? Next time I bend the Renthals I'm making the switch.

chan :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:50 PM

I just use a standard Applied clamp.
Posted Image

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 09, 2004 - 02:17 AM

Check out this post...courtesy of some dude named EGOALLENPOE.....who the heck would that be? LOL :cry:

Foot Peg Mod

So basically cut the barrel off and switch the sides of the bike?

Are you guys actually cutting on your Ti pegs?

Thanks btw... :cry:

• Fastest1

Posted November 09, 2004 - 05:39 AM

The springs are the only things that change sides. The barrel you cut off, now goes on top of the peg instead of under it. Ti shouldnt be that much harder to cut. I never welded my barrels on and it works great.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.