any one elses bike smoke when started?

7 replies to this topic
  • Shane_Bettin

Posted November 07, 2004 - 10:39 PM

mine didn't untill after i had an air leak which caused it ti to be lean. i think it did some damage. is any smoke normal or should i rebuild.
thanks
shane

• xeslaro

Posted November 08, 2004 - 12:16 AM

My YZ250 2 stroke used to smoke on start up........

A bit more info would be good. What is the bike??

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 08, 2004 - 12:29 AM

Mine does when i dont ring the air filter properly, 16,340 K's

• Shane_Bettin

Posted November 08, 2004 - 07:05 PM

don't mean to be an ass about it but im posting in the yz400 426 and 450 forum, 4 stroke site as well. i know most 2 strokes smoke depending on oil used.
btw its a 400.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 11_evl

Posted November 09, 2004 - 01:50 AM

what colour smoke does it blow

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 09, 2004 - 02:05 AM

I think smoke at startup then running ok after a few minutes is a sign of worn valve seals.

They allow oil to seep into the cylinder overnight that burns when you start it up, but the leak is so slow that after it burns the oil out of the cylinder it stops smoking.

At least that's how it works in cars. I have absolutely no knowledge of the valves in these bikes.

• Shane_Bettin

Posted November 09, 2004 - 06:22 PM

smoke is blue. my bike is real rich right now though if that makes any diff. at all.

• Satch0922

Posted November 09, 2004 - 07:11 PM

blue smoke? sounds like the valve seals...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.