Setting suspension on xr650r for a 160-170 pound rider

5 replies to this topic
  • scorch

Posted November 07, 2004 - 05:05 PM

Im 160lbs, but im guessing with all my gear I will be closer to 170pds.

What are you suspension settings for a 160lbs rider?

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 07, 2004 - 05:15 PM

someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 650r come set up for a 170-180 pound rider in stock form...... :cry:

• BRP27

Posted November 08, 2004 - 03:21 AM

I weigh 170 and have found the rear spring to be to stiff for this weight. When you set the sag you see the spring is stiff. I have the compression and rebound clickers set some what softer than stock ( see the owners manual). And I plan on going to 2.5 wt oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scorch

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:51 AM

I weigh 170 and have found the rear spring to be to stiff for this weight. When you set the sag you see the spring is stiff. I have the compression and rebound clickers set some what softer than stock ( see the owners manual). And I plan on going to 2.5 wt oil.

Of all the time I have had the pig, i have never changed any of the suspension settings. Other than putting in different fork oil, as it was a maintenance issue rather than suspension issue.

I need to fine tune the suspension, and i am going to play with the sag now. :cry:

• Husky_Forever

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:58 AM

Springs come stock for this weight range. Just set sag and oil weight.

• BWB63

Posted November 08, 2004 - 11:38 AM

The adjustment screws are for the bigger hits. The fluid/oil flows though holes in the piston/valve and through a by-pass hole (not very big). The adjustment screws closes off the by-pass hole forcing more oil to flow past (bend) the shim. The Shims are placed as a pirymid. The large (base) shims are against the valve. All the fluid pass' by that first shim the rest are there to control how much and how fast that shim will bend. The first big shims control the big hit and are cald the slow stack. They help stop the force of the big hard hits that move the through the valve the smaller shims control the fast strokes (fast stack). If you are having troble with the smaller ruts, bumps the adjusters will do little for you! You will need to go to lighter fluid, bigger valve holes and/or different shim stack.
I weight today at 182 and run .45kg fork springs and 10kg shock spring. Stock fork springs are .43kg and the shock spring is 9.3kg. The fork fluid in the stock bike is not the same Honda fluid you buy off the shelf! What is stock has animal oil in it (probably whale, that's why you will here lot's of guys call it whale snot) and draws moister. When you change it you will see lumps and it will be stringy. This is not good from a plush ride. You can get a much more plush ride by going to a ligher fluid. There is a lot more to it and you can read up on it here at this xr650R suspension page. This page has allot of links to how to set up your suspension. XR650R PAGE Click Here
There is a fork page and a shock page....there are lots of other links also. The Video link has short fast loading video of the XR650R jumping. The old video red fenders are of a stock bike. The video with black fenders are with .45kg and 10kg Eiback springs. This bike is major plush on the light stuff but, still can handle six or seven foot drop off's.
The XR650R PAGE Click Here has spring charts (at the bottom of the Fork and shock pages) different shim stacks and a little on fluids. Lots of links. I do not like Bell-Ray suspension fluid....not many do.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.