XR650L Clicking Noise in Top End

2 replies to this topic
  • michaeln

Posted November 07, 2004 - 11:51 AM

My 1998 XR650L with 30,500 miles on it is starting to make a strange noise. The motor is stock internally, and I have maintained it well with regular oil changes (Mobil1 red cap most recently, but I have always used synthetic oil since I got the bike at 12,000 miles) and filter changes and valve clearance checks.

The noise is a metallic click that ONLY happens when the motor is cold and at low RPMs. It seems to go away when I rev the motor up, but my bike is so loud I'm not certain of that. It is also irregular... ie: CLICK ... CLICK CLICK CLICK ... CLICK CLICK ... CLICK ......... CLICK ... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK ... etc. The engine continues to run fine (no missing) during the period when this CLICK noise happens.

Valve clearances are perfect and have stayed that way for the last five or six checks at 1500 mile intervals.

I have read about noises produced when the cam chain and/or tensioner is going bad, and also when the autodecompressor is going bad, but why would the noise only happen with a cold motor if it was those? If one of those were the problem I would actually expect it to be worse when the motor is hot... but I have no wierd noises when the motor is good and warm (250F oil temp, like right after pulling off the freeway). Just the normal air cooled thumper noises when it's warm.

I thought about piston slap, but the noise sounds like it's being made by a smaller part than the piston, and I would expect piston slap to be more regular than this noise is. Doesn't really sound like a wrist pin either, and again that kind of noise tends to be load-dependent instead of temperature dependent.

Any ideas what it could be? I used one of those stethoscopes we have in the shop to listen for the noise and it does sound like it's coming from the top end, right side, rear, but I'm not certain of that.

Thanks
Michael

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JustDucki

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:25 PM

I am not an expert but from what I have read on here and the word from my dealer is that it sounds like you may want to pop the top off and have a looksy...

I was told by dealer that clanging noise is cam chain..
I plan to pull mine apart at 30K just to see how its all holding together and probably do a top-end job just to be sure.

:cry:

• michaeln

Posted November 08, 2004 - 06:44 PM

I was told by dealer that clanging noise is cam chain..

It's definitely not a clanging noise or a grinding or dragging kind of noise. It's a CLICK. Except for it being irregular, it sounds like a misadjusted valve that is way loose. But the valve clearances are all OK.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.