Trail out the 426 or go to a 450x

8 replies to this topic
  • OldenPhatt

Posted November 07, 2004 - 10:29 AM

I've got an 02 426 and ride mostly fast trails, with occasional forrays into tight stuff. I've got a 12 oz. flywheel weight and have gone up two teeth in the rear, but this bike is still not ideal for the riding I do--I tend to get stuck on knarly uphills and then use a lot of bad language when as I wrestle the beast around and try to re-start it. I absolutely love my bike's awsome power and handling for fast trail stuff and hillclimbs, but the gearing and starting make keeping up with my brother on his DRZ-400 in the tight stuff a bit of a drag. In addition, my brother's DRZ has softer suspension that makes choppy stuff easier to deal with and is less tiring to ride over all--I do not think I could be happy with the DRZ's lack of power compared to my 426 however.

So here's my quandry; do I put another $1,000 to $1,500 into my 426 to make it more trail-worthy, or do I sell it and buy a 450x when they come out to get e-start lower gearing and softer suspension.

The shopping list for the 426 would be to lower the gearing even further (1 tooth less on the countershaft sproket, for example) I won't miss the top speed much, a Rekluse clutch, which should help stalling in the tight stuff, either a 450 or hot cam exhaust cam to help with the starting and a kickstand, which will be most helpful when my son starts riding next June.

I'm probaly looking at a minimum $3,000 difference between what I can sell my 426 for and what a 450x will cost me OTD, but I would be getting a new bike, which is fun. I also had the forthought to buy all gray riding gear so if I switched brands, I wouldn't have to run out a buy a new wardrobe.

I can afford to go the new bike route, but I certainly would not say that cost is no object--my wife made me write this part...

Posted November 07, 2004 - 02:52 PM

Honestly, the YZ426f would give out more power than an 450X(which is like a WR450f). I would stay with the 426 and dial in everything. Something to think about.

• B86_Racer

Posted November 07, 2004 - 03:11 PM

If you can afford it, get the new bike and enjoy life. :cry:

• tool

Posted November 07, 2004 - 05:10 PM

i would personally trail out the 426, ive always thought its more fun to buy tons of aftermarket parts for a cheaper bike, than to blow your wad on a new bike, only to barely have enough money to swap the chain out.
i really think your bike is crying out for an auto clutch. its the band-aid fix to trail out an MX bike. when your bike doesnt stall you dont have to restart it. :cry:
i would auto clutch and auto-decompress the 426. unless your after the e-start and soft suspension. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpster

Posted November 07, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Have you considered the WR450? I had the chance to ride one once and came away with a positive impression, it's got the happy button too.

• Dano426

Posted November 09, 2004 - 12:58 PM

Go with the 426 and the z-start. I have a 01 with the z-start and now have no problems in the tight sigle tracks.

• John_Lorenz

Posted November 09, 2004 - 01:01 PM

Echo what Dan said
the rekluse clutch is the perfect setup. I Raised the rear to a 50 tooth as well. The bike has never stalled is a perfect woods bike now.

• Texas4play

Posted November 09, 2004 - 08:53 PM

Go for the 450X ...or the Wr450.

• beezer

Posted November 09, 2004 - 09:16 PM

I keep my bikes for 2 years. If you sell them you seem to get good money for them.

Getting a new bike is always a nice thing.

I get nervous about a first year bike. I took a long walk home with my 03 WR450.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.