Need to renew rear wheel shine.

24 replies to this topic
  • mikev7

Posted November 06, 2004 - 02:49 AM

I was wondering if any aluminum polishes will renew the shine to new looks on my 00 YZ 426. I've tried waxes but it just looks like dull aluminum with wax over it. Here's a pic of my front and rear wheel (don't mind the chain missing, the beast within the piston popped it. I have another one by Wednesday). Will any kind of polish renew it to the looks of the front wheel. Any recommendations?

Posted Image

Posted Image
:cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 06, 2004 - 04:56 AM

Mothers is just about the best out there...

http://www.midwayaut...iption.asp?4454

• Scooter426

Posted November 06, 2004 - 07:30 AM

mothers is the best that I have used, but the wheels may have a coating on them, possibly.

Anyone?...
Anyone..
Bueler... :cry:

• mikev7

Posted November 06, 2004 - 12:52 PM

Maaaan; i got Mothers and that aint do nothing to shine the rim. Is their any other thing i can do other than bring it to a pro polisher?

• NewfieWR

Posted November 06, 2004 - 12:58 PM

SOS pad & water...rinse & use autosol or tooth paste. The abrasive type tooth paste is best. :cry:

• mikev7

Posted November 06, 2004 - 05:09 PM

Really? You serious? What will the results look like? will it be as shiny as new? Won't that leave scratches in the aluminum? What about a scotch brite pad and the mothers aluminum polish?

• DoctorRzed

Posted November 06, 2004 - 07:23 PM

There is a clear anodized coating on the rims. Cant polish them unless you remove it. If you do remove it and polish it it will oxidize and look like crap. Get yourself some new rims.

Posted November 06, 2004 - 10:03 PM

All you got to do is take some steel wool, fine then the super fine stuff and do the rim. Next Mothers Mag Polish will leave "That Showroom Shine" , seriously.

• mikev7

Posted November 07, 2004 - 03:02 AM

I was thinking about getting the rims powdercoated black, maybe i'll do that, i can't make myself pay 1K for no freakin dirt bike rims.

• jespertheil

Posted November 07, 2004 - 09:44 AM

Remember it´s a DIRT bike.... :cry:
Just ride it.. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted November 07, 2004 - 01:19 PM

Rims are cheap...its the hubs, spokes and lacing that will kill you.

• mikev7

Posted November 07, 2004 - 08:36 PM

There is a clear anodized coating on the rims. Can't polish them unless you remove it. If you do remove it and polish it it will oxidize and look like crap. Get yourself some new rims.

OoOoOTaY; here's where i stand. Their was a clear coat on the rims and that's why the aluminum polish won't work. I polished the spokes to a mirror shine and tried to remove the "dullness" on the rim with a brillo pad and some abrasive turtle wax used for prepping cars for painting. This is what i messed up,, i mean got.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I was thinking that automotive paint stripper would solve the prob of grinding my hands off trying to scrub that stuff off the rim and go with a full polished look and just do both of them. Anyone think this will work? Any suggestions? Can i strip the coating with the tires on cause im thinking about it. The rims shouldn't be any harder than the spokes to keep shiny. Maybe about 3-4 months of riding than a polish huh?

• DesertChris

Posted November 07, 2004 - 10:51 PM

If it's anodized paint stripper won't touch it. I was told to use spay oven cleaner for a set of Porsche wheels to remove the anodizing and then I would be able to sand and pollish the bare aluminum. I haven't tried it yet so you might do a test spot first if you try it.

• mikev7

Posted November 07, 2004 - 11:13 PM

Any specific kind?

• Ren92

Posted November 07, 2004 - 11:18 PM

If you use OvenOFF you need to get the yellow can.It is the only one that will take anodized clear off.

• mikev7

Posted November 07, 2004 - 11:30 PM

You sure this will work. I already got some info that told me to use a brillo pad that put me in the situation I'm in, although i would have tried to remove the dull coat anyway. Are you definitely sure this won't do any damage. I'm going to leave my tire on and try to leave the anodizing in the spots like the spoke wells and around the very edge of the rim where i can't maintain it with polish. :cry:

• mikev7

Posted November 07, 2004 - 11:43 PM

If you use OvenOFF you need to get the yellow can.It is the only one that will take anodized clear off.

Is their anything special i gotta do? Do i just spray it on and follow the directions?

• DoctorRzed

Posted November 08, 2004 - 12:28 PM

Search for anodize remover on a search engine. I got a bottle for $15 takes theanodized coating right off in seconds :cry:

• mikev7

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:29 PM

Ooookayy; here's the results. I just finished the rear rim and the suoer strength easy off oven cleaner worked in about 1 minute. This is the result of 45 minutes of polishing. I didn't feel like taking pics, but a writeup on how to do this if the anodizing on your rim is dulled beyond tolerance is soon to follow.

Posted Image

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:52 PM

Wow... Much better.

That was easyoff to get the coating off, then the mothers to polish it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.