XR600 2000 model IMS 4 gal tank problem

2 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted November 06, 2004 - 12:02 AM

Got my tank and mounted it this morning.

The problem is the right hand side lower portion of the tank only clears the top of the engine by about 4-5mm. It looks too close. (basically a small screwdrivers width is all the clearance that is available.)

I hardly rode the bike but I'm real scared there is not sufficient clearance to let the heat clear away from the engine.

Can anyone confirm what the clearance should be?

Can you guys who have the 4 gallon tank on their XR600s confirm the clearance they have?

(4-5mm is about 1/6 inch in imperial speak)

Thanks and I really appreciate any comments or suggestions. AFAIK the tank has been mounted perfectly so it's a bit of a worry that there is so little clearance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted November 06, 2004 - 12:09 AM

I had the big IMS tank on my 600 and had to space it out a bit for clearance. I just used some flat washers between the tank bracket (the triangular shaped bracket) and the mounting point on the frame - I think I used two on the right side to get proper clearance.

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 06, 2004 - 12:25 AM

I have an IMS 4.3 or therabouts and have about a finger's width or more between the tank and engine in any given spot. I have narrow fingers so thats about 1-3cm.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.