when to rebuild YZ 426?

10 replies to this topic
  • Ren92

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:32 PM

My problem is that I can kick the bike over with out even pulling in the decomp. lever.It still has compression but not like it use to.What is weird is the last time I took it out it wasn't like that at all.Is there anything I need to check for like a broke ring or someting? :cry:

• NAFLASH

Posted November 05, 2004 - 08:10 PM

Maybe the valves are out of spec.Check the valves first before tearing the motor down.

• Thumpster

Posted November 05, 2004 - 08:23 PM

Maybe the valves are out of spec.Check the valves first before tearing the motor down.

Yes, what NAFLASH said. Do the the easy things first and check your valve adjustments. Then do a compression check before you tear into it.

• Ren92

Posted November 07, 2004 - 11:29 PM

Well I figured I would give it a shot today and try to start it and 3 kick she came alive :cry:.I let it run for about 1-2min then shut it off.Tried to kick it and all was back to normal.I guess I had a valve stuck open or something.Thanks for the info though.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 08, 2004 - 04:30 AM

Well I figured I would give it a shot today and try to start it and 3 kick she came alive :cry:.I let it run for about 1-2min then shut it off.Tried to kick it and all was back to normal.I guess I had a valve stuck open or something.Thanks for the info though.

This has happened to several people, including myself. Almost no compression at all, then once you get it fired all is back to normal. This happens to me almost every time I allow a significant amount of carb cleaner to get into the cylinder, so now I try to remove the carb from the boot before hosing out the pilot circuit. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_blatham489_*

Posted November 12, 2004 - 08:27 PM

There is also the effect of oil on the rings/cylinder creating a seal. Often a compression check method will have you check it cold (dry), then squirt a little oil in the cylinder (wet) and check it again. A difference in readings indicates worn rings.

When you started it, the oil circulated and lub'ed the rings, creating a seal, hence the restored compression.

I don't plan to re-do my top end until it starts smokin'!

• Oasis_Flame

Posted November 17, 2004 - 12:43 PM

Adjust your valves before they hit the piston. Had the same problem with a friends WR no compression. I could push the kicker down with my arm. After adjustment all the power came back.

• bushy

Posted November 17, 2004 - 02:36 PM

My bike did that same thing, its simply a piece of carbon opening the valve a little.

• MotoX352

Posted November 19, 2004 - 11:13 PM

course maybe your valves seats are getting worn and your valves are getting cupped mine started cuping on the intake side of things and that made me lose compression. course i just replaced all the valves, had the seats recut and replaced the piston and rings with a higher than stock compression ratio piston (13.5 - 1) and now i can stand on the kick starter by it self! lol

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 20, 2004 - 12:50 PM

You should re-build when there is a loss of power.

• flyinguitars

Posted November 22, 2004 - 05:25 AM

It could have been that your decompression cable or mechanisim was just stuck open too. Ive had that happen before I went to the auto decompress cam

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.