Stock Air Filter Crumbling??

4 replies to this topic
  • JJwinston

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:12 AM

I have my 04 YZ450 stock filter and went to clean it this past weekend. When I pulled it out, some of the foam from the seal area (grease side) shredded? Did I use the wrong type of grease to seal it up? Is there a special kind to use? Are these known for doing this?
TIA

• nmmc999

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:49 AM

I would suggest you toss the stock filter and buy you an ready filter at your local dealer. They cost around $10.00,pre oiled,and there reusable.gloves are also included so you dont get your hands messy. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocrosschump

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:53 AM

Did you use gas to clean it?

• JJwinston

Posted November 05, 2004 - 09:50 AM

No, I didn't use gas. Just the regular PJ1 cleaner and oil. I am not sure what grease I used on it, but didn't think it mattered??

I ordered up a No-Toil air filter, but it sucks to just throw away the stocker. I am sure this should be under warranty! :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 05, 2004 - 09:58 AM

They do not need grease on the lip unless you constantly ride in very very dusty conditions - then use Belray waterproof - I have never used any grease on my 03- yep in dust too - I am tired of the mess and they seal just fine to keep dust out - Kerosene works very well to clean then run water thru it - no problems ever with disintegration....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.