Bent front brake lever

5 replies to this topic
  • per_s

Posted November 05, 2004 - 12:43 AM

Do you bend the brake/clutch levers back if you bend them when falling or do you replace them?
I saw in the manual that thay are made from a softer Aluminum that is possible to reshape.
Any experiences from bending it back to its original shape?
Thanks for your tip :cry: :cry:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted November 05, 2004 - 05:05 AM

Do you bend the brake/clutch levers back if you bend them when falling or do you replace them?
I saw in the manual that thay are made from a softer Aluminum that is possible to reshape.
Any experiences from bending it back to its original shape?
Thanks for your tip

yes you can bend them back. BUT you need to heat it up a little. my dad bend my levers back a ton of times and im still on the stock levers. and they havent snaped yet.

but i always have a front break and clutch lever in the tool box at the races just in case they do bend. but if they do bend the next day my dad just bends them back at work.

• MathProf

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:19 AM

I have found that if you take the lever off the bike, grab a rubber or plastic hammer, place the lever on the ground,(dirt ground, not concrete ground) and pound out the bend, the lever won't break. :cry:

I've doing this for years and only the most extremely bent levers will snap.

However if you try to straighten the lever on the bike it will snap every time. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted November 05, 2004 - 10:41 AM

I used a big combo wrench to bend mine back while still on the bike,worked perfectly.

Posted November 05, 2004 - 03:38 PM

I hav egot the best info on levers. Buy Machined levers not die-casted. Die Cast will break if you put a little stress on them. Machined levers have a grain and is made from a solid piece of metal. Grains can be bent back and forth, but die-cast can't. I had a CNC Machined ASV and I wrecked once and it bent, so i bent it back. I have crashed on that lever a couple times already and bent it back(it was acually bent a full 180,folded in half). ASVs work to a certain degree, if you saved the warrenty paperwork then go for it.

• Scooter426

Posted November 05, 2004 - 06:01 PM

also put a bit of teflon tape around your handlebars where the perch mounts and it will let the perch swivel in a crash. You can tighten them up quite tight and they are still crashproof. (super cheep fix for this problem)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.