Steel or Alloy Sprokets?

10 replies to this topic
  • mikev7

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:08 PM

Which lasts longer, steel or alloy sprokets? I'm not racing and aint worried bout weight as i weigh 230. I just need a new chain/sproket combo. :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:45 PM

Steel lasts 2-3 times as long, and, if you don't mind paying for it, doesn't have to be that heavy.

Look into Ironman stainless rear cogs. Not really too pricey when you think what you're getting for it. If you really don't care about weight, you can get JT's or some such on the cheap.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 05, 2004 - 04:01 AM

I agree with the above. The Ironman sprockets are the high tech version; chromoly steel, light weight and a one year replacement warranty. These can be had for about $75. If weight is no issue then something like JT sprockets would be the way to go. They are steel and last a very long time, can be had for about $25 and you can anchor your boat with them when they are too worn out to keep on the bike. :cry: See this page for a weight comparison between an aluminum Sunstar, an Ironman and a JT Sprockets steel sprocket. Look under the first big block of text, click the picture for a larger view:

Ironman page with weight comparison

• Wyatt

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:56 AM

If you want a good sprocket that is in the middle of those two, go with a Titax stainless steel rear sprocket. You can get them from www.rockymountainmc.com They will last and last and last. Pair it with a DID X ring, and you have got a combo that will take you places.

• Aaron

Posted November 05, 2004 - 08:10 AM

since you are riding in the mud i would recommend steel.. alloy sprocket are better where its dry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revolucien

Posted November 05, 2004 - 08:16 AM

you could also look into the stealth sprockets. alum mount with ti outer ring the new generation are supposed be strong and last a while. a little on the expensive side but i'd like to hear from a couple people who have used them. i have the ironman and there is still seems like a good difference in weight when you hold them up to aluminum.

• Idaho_Wolverine

Posted November 05, 2004 - 09:19 AM

The stealth tri-metal is about the best all around chain ring out right now, in my opinion. The body is aluminum, the outer is tool steel, and they are attached by titanium rivets. Almost as light as aluminum, but last WAY longer.
66$ at my local dealer. And heck, they even look cool.

• revolucien

Posted November 05, 2004 - 10:19 AM

damn $66. thats good to hear i was just reading that they have a 100% guarantee against breaking. :cry:

• cowboyona426

Posted November 05, 2004 - 10:40 AM

Steel Ironman sprockets- money well spent!

• OHVrider

Posted November 05, 2004 - 10:43 AM

I just saw an ad where the new Ironman has s lifetime warrenty. I think they said it was $89.

• SD

Posted November 05, 2004 - 11:44 AM

Based on the posted requirements, I agree with Wyatt here - go for the reasonably priced Titax steel and stop shopping. In fact, get a few, like a 50, 51 and 52 rear and a 13 and 14 front - that way you can have some fun and try different ratios. Steel will last a very long time, and is much cheaper.

Steve

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.