One More Fuel Mixture Screw Question

10 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted November 04, 2004 - 05:37 PM

Well I've got my new WR all dialed in and I couldn't have done it without help from many of you on this BB. Thanks for everyone who answered my questions. But I've got one more and hopefully this will be my last
I went and bought a ZipTy fuel mixture adjuster and when I went to install it the spot I assumed I would find a small slotted screw head to adjust the fuel mixture with was covered by what looks like an aluminum cover with a very small hole in the center of it. Is this some sort of cover to keep out dirt and water? Does this cover just pop out with a dental pick? Other than the fuel mixture screw I've pretty much got this bike dialed in and it rips. thanks for any answers

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 04, 2004 - 05:43 PM

Glad you got the bike Jetted right. :cry: The Zip-Ty fuel screw has no head for a screwdriver tip. It has a knurled aluminum end that you turn with your fingers and read the numbers to know how many quarter turns you have made. The numbers always start in the same position everytime you start form turned all the way in. I hope this answers your question. :cry:

• Seabass

Posted November 04, 2004 - 05:48 PM

Glad you got the bike Jetted right. :cry: The Zip-Ty fuel screw has no head for a screwdriver tip. It has a knurled aluminum end that you turn with your fingers and read the numbers to know how many quareter turns you have made. The numbers always start in the same position everytine you start form turned all the way in. I hope this answers your question. :cry:

Indy- it's not the ZipTy part I'm having trouble with, but where it installs on the carb. Where the ZipTy part should install is the aluminum cover with the pinhole in it. This small "cover" wont allow the ZipTy part to be installed

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 04, 2004 - 06:03 PM

The 05 may have a different carb bowl then 03's or 04's. :cry:

• Seabass

Posted November 04, 2004 - 06:15 PM

The 05 may have a different carb bowl then 03's or 04's. :cry:

Doh! My brother has an'03 model and I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow. The owners manual, which has way more info than my old XR manual, doesn't even mention the fuel screw adjuster or any procedures to adjust the fuel screw. My brother told me that he just put a small flat blade screwdriver into the small collar in the front of the carb bowl and just unscrewed the stock adjuster and simply screwed in the ZipTy unit. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bikepilot

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:04 PM

Many street bikes have this "plug" covering the fuel mixture screw. It is the manufacturers method of complying with rendering the idle mixture "non-adjustable" in the legal sense. Because your bike is probably the new '05 green-sticker approved model, you will probably just need to GENTLY drill out the plug so you can insert a drywall screw (or equivalent) and wiggle the plug out. You should then be left with what the rest of us have, namely a little tube shaped well with the idle mixture screw up in it. :cry: Be careful when drilling that you don't punch through and screw the screw up, so to speak....

• Texas4play

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:06 PM

Let me know how this turns out Seabass, I'm at the carb tuning stage on my '05 as well. What else have you done to your bike?

• BURLEY

Posted November 05, 2004 - 07:27 AM

Seabass, did you clip your grey wire? I cut out the airbox and ordered a Pro Circuit Type 496. Which jetting did you end up with. I am also working on a sano method for removing and plugging the air injector. I will let those of you interested know how that goes. I noticed in another post that you raced D37 desert. Are you still?

• Seabass

Posted November 05, 2004 - 04:05 PM

Seabass, did you clip your grey wire? I cut out the airbox and ordered a Pro Circuit Type 496. Which jetting did you end up with. I am also working on a sano method for removing and plugging the air injector. I will let those of you interested know how that goes. I noticed in another post that you raced D37 desert. Are you still?

Hey Burley- I'am also known as Dirt Diggler in some circles. I still race D37 and have been hanging with the Jackrabbits this year. They're small and don't have a huge presence at races but a friend of mine rides with them so he hooked me up with 'em. I guess I coulda joined HBMC, I heard they take anyone! :cry: I might do the Checkpoint enduro with some friends in DMC.
I did pull the grey wire and I'm running a 170 main with a 45 pilot. Just riding around the neighborhood it feels pretty good but if I don't have to work tomorrow I may try to get out to Lucerne and do some hot laps on Anderson Dry Lake. Hopefully I'll be getting the ol' "bro" deal on a Big Gun exhaust, but for now I'm just uncorking the stock exhaust. Still haven't figured out how to get to the fuel mixture screw so I'm going to attempt some surgery tonite. I better go scrub

• BURLEY

Posted November 05, 2004 - 05:10 PM

Ah, hell....I didn't know you were Dirt Diggler. Well we've "typed" to eachother on the D37 message board then. Well, my bike is in pieces on the garage floor still! We'll meet up in the desert sooner or later. Have fun this weekend. Mike

• Seabass

Posted November 05, 2004 - 05:35 PM

Let me know how this turns out Seabass, I'm at the carb tuning stage on my '05 as well. What else have you done to your bike?

believe it or not Yamaha decided to cover up the fuel mixture screw with a plug! It was real easy to get out. When you go to adjust your fuel mixture screw you'll find a small aluminum "plug" where you should find a slotted screw to adjust. There was a small pinhole in the center of the plug. I took a dental pick with a 90 degree end on it and just kinda pried it out. Lo and behold there is a slotted screw underneath that damn aluminum plug. Guess they don't want us messin' with the fuel mixture, maybe that's part of the concession to getting this bike green stickered :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.