Upgrading flywheel and lighting coil on 98 YZ400

1 reply to this topic
  • Some Dude

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:06 PM

Hey gang, new to the forum and have really found alot of useful posts in here. I have just purchased a 98 YZ400 and attempting to set if up for N GA trail duty. I plan on installing a flywheel and lighting coil off of a newer WR426, however I think I may need a spacer or new engine cover to accomodate the extra stuff. Is this correct? Perhaps just the factory WR426 Stator cover or aftermarket? I can get good Yamaha dealer pricing or wholesale aftermarket, so cost isnt an issue, just proper fitment. Any recommendations? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pothole

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:16 PM

an '02 WR426 flywheel and stator fit under the stock cover on my '99 YZ400. You need to modify the pink wire on the WR stator in order for it to work. If you are advised to look at the Electrex instructions on the coversion, be aware that those instructions are specifically for wiring the stator up to work the Electrex Dual Sport kit, which has a battery, therefore it requires a floating ground. If you don't want a battery, and just want to run a headlight/taillight, then the modification is different..and much simpler. All you do in that case is cut the pink wire and ground the CDI side. You leave the Pink wire on the stator side alone..or cap it off if you want, but don't ground it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.