The "rare and mysterious" Pilot Jet

4 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:24 AM

I'm just trying to find a 38 pilot jet for my '99 YZ. I go to my yamaha dealer because they said "yep, got it right here". Wrong one. I order it from Sudco...opened it up, the same wrong one. I call out to a Yamaha dealer about 30 minutes from town, "yep, I'll call and get one here this afternoon"...drive out there, the same dang wrong one. What is going on? Sudco is supposedly sending me the right one this time, but I've been dealing with this for almost 2 weeks now. Thanks, just had to vent.

• Idaho_Wolverine

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Just curious, are you the original owner? If not, it could be a different carb than the stock one.
Just a thought.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:20 AM

Just curious, are you the original owner? If not, it could be a different carb than the stock one.
Just a thought.

Pothole - try the honda dealer. CRF's use the same pilot jets. But Wolfie may be on to something...

• Pothole

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, it's the original jet. I think what's going on is that the pilot jet was changed to a different type in the Keihn carbs after '99, so when you say "pilot jet" and "Keihn" in the same sentence, the parts guys just automatically think of the newer Keihn carbs. The new pilot is twice as long and the threads are larger. The honda pilots are close, but they have a seat flange at the base of the saturation tube that the '99 pilot doesn't have. I think kawasaki street bikes have the same pilot though.

• Pothole

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:39 PM

Well, I picked up a 40PJ from the Honda dealer. He did a back reference and that particular PJ was used in some honda dirt bikes from the 70's. weird.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.