Pics - '05 California WR450 AIS (smog) setup

43 replies to this topic
  • Flip01

Posted November 04, 2004 - 07:23 AM

Hey guys,
Some folks from my other thread wanted to see pics of the AIS (air injection system) for the '05 California WR450. So here ya go.... :cry:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
The first 3 pics are from the right side of the bike where mostly everything is located. The last pic is from the left side just in front of the air box showing the fitting that feeds the AIS thingy.

Click here for the break down page from the manual. *WARNING* this is a rather large file. So 56k users beware! :cry:

Its looks like they're using crankcase pressure to siphon clean air from the airbox and pump it into exhaust port. :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted November 04, 2004 - 07:37 AM

I notice in the manual they call the smog pump (box) an "Air cut-off valve". My guess it's something simaliar to the ACV on the carb. Does the '05 still have an ACV on the carb or is this the same thing on a bigger scale?...or is it just in addition too? :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted November 04, 2004 - 07:39 AM

Flip, your bike is still showroom clean??? No chance to ride it yet??? Or are you just super handy with the toothbrush??

• Flip01

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:01 AM

Yup....no chance to ride it yet. Sucks. The only time I've got on it is from riding it around the block a few times and I don't think the neighbors are gonna let me get away with that for too long. :cry:

Oh well, maybe this weekend. :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:53 AM

I notice in the manual they call the smog pump (box) an "Air cut-off valve". My guess it's something simaliar to the ACV on the carb. Does the '05 still have an ACV on the carb or is this the same thing on a bigger scale?...or is it just in addition too? :cry:

Greeaat, now you guys are going to make me look at mine!!
I've been reading on the '03/'04 ACV/TPS mods. Guess I'm going to put on my guinea pig costume and find out.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:59 AM

Another great reason to buy an 04 while you can! :cry: That looks terrible! :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:22 AM

Small sacrifice for a green sticker. :cry:

• Flip01

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:29 AM

Another great reason to buy an 04 while you can! :cry: That looks terrible! :cry:

Yeah but it'll look a helluva lot better after I slap the GREEN STICKER on it! :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:36 AM

Flip, do you NEED a green sticker to ride around the block??
Hehe, just messin with ya !! :cry:

• new2blu

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:16 PM

Just curious how is this AIR system powered---I'm assuming it is electric??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:41 PM

Just curious how is this AIR system powered---I'm assuming it is electric??

I asume its pulse injection. Just the pulses in the exhaust will draw in the air. I may be wrong, it may use a pump, but doesnt appear to and I assume Yammie didnt want to hang too much off of it.

• Seabass

Posted November 04, 2004 - 06:19 PM

I couldn't find any electrical leads hooked to mine

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 05, 2004 - 08:16 AM

I see the smog system as just another mod to bypass like the throttle stops and grey wires, hopefully it can be taken off. I would still like to see a Euro/Canadian WR just to see if it's missing the smog stuff...

• HUSAFREEK

Posted November 06, 2004 - 02:24 AM

Arrived back from Blaine at 11pm with my best friends 2005 wr450f Canadian model (sticker on head stay says Canadian purchased from Motorcycle Brokers.) It has the AIS system. I was surprised. It was running before 12. Seems very lean. Not a big surprise from everything I have read here.

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 06, 2004 - 05:09 AM

I had the AIS system disabled on my 03 FZ1... I would think it would be a pretty simple deal to do it on these as well.

get your green sticker, disable the AIS and all will be well... :cry:

• MotoChris521

Posted November 06, 2004 - 06:09 AM

Honda has had an air injection system on their 650L's since '93.It's easily removeable for "closed course" operation.IMS and others make kits($20) to plug off the various holes left after removing the system.
BTW ; anyone have the dry wieght specs for the '05.I'm thinking of replacing my YZF. :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 06, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Arrived back from Blaine at 11pm with my best friends 2005 wr450f Canadian model (sticker on head stay says Canadian purchased from Motorcycle Brokers.) It has the AIS system. I was surprised.

That sucks... :cry:

• bkej

Posted November 06, 2004 - 07:52 PM

The dry weight is listed as 244 lbs.

• HUSAFREEK

Posted November 08, 2004 - 08:48 PM

For the riding we do it probably wont make any difference.

• erg01426

Posted November 08, 2004 - 10:41 PM

Thats what the WR450 looks like at the dealerships in Phoenix. Anybody else have pics from a non cali bike that would like to share?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.