Holes in flywheel?

9 replies to this topic
  • yzfmxer

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:42 PM

I had a 14oz zip ty flywheel on my 02 yz 426, and want to take it off. Will the flywheel be ok with the 4 holes in it. or do I have to order a new flywheel? :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2004 - 08:59 PM

It was OK with the holes it while the weight was on. Why not without it?

• twowheellen1

Posted November 03, 2004 - 09:01 PM

Your flywheel will be a little lighter than stock because of the holes. Your flywheel held the extra weight with no problems so, it should not going to break with the weight off. Just make sure you don't leave any loose Loctite or metal shavings behind when you remove the weight.

TW

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 04, 2004 - 01:39 AM

Is there any way to leave the bolts in the holes to add a touch of extra weight?

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 04, 2004 - 03:18 AM

In the event that the person who installed the weight had it balanced after the weight was installed, be sure that you mark both the weight and the flywheel so that they go back together the same way if you decide to put the weight back on!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twowheellen1

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:32 PM

Is there any way to leave the bolts in the holes to add a touch of extra weight?

There is a chance that the bolts will be too long and they could hit the coils behind the flywheel so without measuring first I would not put them back in.

TW

• yzfmxer

Posted November 04, 2004 - 05:03 PM

No i didnt have it balanced because i couldnt find anyone around here to do it. Do you know of somwon i can send it to?
Well this is what really happend, I got the 14oz flywheel weight and when insatlling it, i got one of the 4 holes alittle off so it wouldnt go in, But three of the bolt would. So i ran it with 3 for awhile with no problems. BUt i sold the bike and told the guy about it, and he said no way!! it has to have all 4 bolts in it and then It has to be ballanced. well Since i couldnt repair the old flywheel or in any way make it work (in his standards) I had to order a new one. But i just didnt want to throw the old one away.
But is it really that important to have it balanced, im mean it is a machined product and the stocker is allredy balanced. :cry:

• yzfmxer

Posted November 05, 2004 - 11:04 PM

c'mon fellas!! need more info :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 06, 2004 - 06:17 AM

Buy the new stock flywheel and install it - Send the 14 to zipty for fixing!

• yzfmxer

Posted November 07, 2004 - 12:31 AM

But i need to install the 14oz flywheel weight on the new flywheel as soon as i get it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.