Why cant Yamaha have only one drain bolt.

6 replies to this topic
  • YZRIDER1127

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:36 PM

I dont get why street bikes can have one drain bolt for their oil and the 450's have 25 and a screen. Is there a reason for this maddness. I am always afraid of not tighing them tight enough or having them to lose. Striping one bolt is bad striping 25 and losing all your oil is really bad. :cry:

• Harry Paratestes

Posted November 03, 2004 - 06:10 PM

Cause Yamaha chose reliability(larger oil volume) and a potential slight increase in power(dry sump vs. wet sump). You could drill and safety wire the drain bolts or wet sump the engine and accept the possibility of less reliability. I don't think anyone has had a properly torqued bolt coming loose.

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2004 - 08:57 PM

What? Run the engine, drain the frame, pull the big plug on the bottom, and that's it. What's big?

Check the screen about every 3rd change, or when you're suspicious.

Change the oil every 2 or 3 rides, depending. Do the filter with every change. If you make her think you love her, she'll stay with you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted November 04, 2004 - 01:44 AM

If you make her think you love her, she'll stay with you.

Yeah but don't let her catch you riding other bikes or she's liable to get driven by another rider too... They're very tempermental about that... :cry: :cry:

• Wyatt

Posted November 04, 2004 - 06:51 AM

I think a lot of peoples frustration comes from the fact that the Yamaha has TWO 2 drain bolts on the case. The large one, and also the small bolt just under the shifter. This little bolt is a pain to have to deal with every time, but if you want a full drain, you need to remove it.

One thing I do also to get a more complete drain: I never remove the frame drain bolt. I, instead, take the oil line loose where it attaches to the motor just below the clutch cover. This gives a more complete drain and is less messy because oil will not run down your frame.

I clean my Scott's with every change.

• Scooter426

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:17 AM

good point. I do this too. Just remove the line and let it drain, no need to clean the screen after the first few changes. It is mostly to catch initial manufacturing debris during break-in. It is a good idea to look at every once in a while, but I have never found any thing in it after the first few changes.
-scooter :cry:

• gonzo

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:11 AM

I've never touched the screen on any of my bikes. I do remove all three bolts though. That little 3rd one empties alot more oil than you would think.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.