Am I ready to graduate to a 450F??

8 replies to this topic
  • Rattdog

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:25 PM

I have an 01 YZ250F and it has been great. I picked it up used last summer and other than a few stupid moves on my part it has run like a top. It is quick and... well you all know the rest.

Next summer (winter is approaching here in Boston) I am thinking about swapping out the old for a brand spankin new bike and I am debating if I shoud go up to a 450F or stick with another 250F. I can control the 250 well but realise tha a lot has change from the 01 to the 05.

I ride 50-50 trails-track. I dont race yet but when my son is older and we can di it together I plan to get involved. I am competitive and a good athlete. I am 6'1" and about 190lbs.

Will the 450F be too much machine for me if I ride 50% in the woods by my house? My local riding buddies ride XRs and my wife is on a CRF150F... needless to say I get stuck doing a lot of waiting and looking behind me... But I want the 450 juice!!!

Will I be frustrated? OR am I just imagineing things?

THanks! :cry:

• YZRIDER1127

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:29 PM

I would go for the 450. My thoughts are it is better to have all that power and never use it then to not have it and crash b/c you werent in the powerband going up the 100ft hill. Also I used to think it was not a good woods bike, then i realized i just needed to get used to it. I love mine and will never buy anything else. Its an awsome woods bike and one hell of a track bike straight from the box. Only mod i did was fatbars. :cry:

• Rattdog

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Its an awsome woods bike and one hell of a track bike straight from the box. Only mod i did was fatbars. :cry:

THanks for reminding me.. If I splurge for the 05 450F I will not have much if any cash to spend on upgrades for the first year ... bars, maybe but no pipes or other good stuff. Is the 450 a ripper out of the box? ...and if you only had a grand to spend on upgrades what items would give the best bang for the buck?

• YZRIDER1127

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:55 PM

IMO you dont need any mods for it at all. All this stuff about getting wr trannies and pipes is a waste of money. Hardly anybody out there has the skill to ride for 450 to its limits and if you can your probably a pro rider. So why woould you want more power?? As far as mods to make it a better woods bike. IMO just learn to ride it and use your clutch. Like i said its just my opinion. I was all ready to change gearing and maybe get a flywheel weight. Then i just practiced a lot and got used to it. Im really glad i didnt waste any on money on mods and love the bike stock :cry:.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:58 PM

You need:
1. decent chain http://img.photobuck...lue/Cnv0010.jpg
2. decent bar
That is about it. You will need thick tubes also very soon,
and donno about the tires on '05 in USA, but mine were crap,
made a big difference in turning and traction with new Michelin S12.

• Rattdog

Posted November 04, 2004 - 03:04 AM

You need:
1. decent chain http://img.photobuck...lue/Cnv0010.jpg
2. decent bar
That is about it. You will need thick tubes also very soon,
and donno about the tires on '05 in USA, but mine were crap,
made a big difference in turning and traction with new Michelin S12.

Wow, that chain pic is proof enough! As for the tube & tires I just got a brand new tires for my 250F but have not put it on yet. Is it the same size as the 450F? If so I may just keep it fresh and put it on the 450 next summer.

Thanks!

• yz_for_me

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:22 AM

You can always ride a fast bike slow. You can never ride a slow bike fast. It's a no-brainer. Go with the 450. :cry: Seriously though, the best advice is to try one out first if you can. It will make your decision much easier. Based on what you have said though, I think you would have no trouble with a 450.

• beezer

Posted November 04, 2004 - 08:50 AM

I have a YZ450 and would rather not ride it in the woods. On single track it is just to much to handle. First gear is high and you have to slip the clutch constantly. The gas tank is too small too.

The 05 comes with Renthal bars so why replace those. I just put on an 0-ring chain and go ride.

• Scooter426

Posted November 04, 2004 - 09:07 AM

for 05 , the stock chain is the only "required" mod. The 05 comes with good renthal bars :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.