Special yamaha Dampning rod holder...$$$

5 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:11 PM

ive just been to yamaha and got quoted over $200 for the proper tool, NO WAY. so i asked them how much it would cost to crack the nut and undo the valve assembly, they wanted $200........ :cry:. So now i have partially dismantled forks, i want to clean the valves out, does anyone from aus live in melbourne and have access to such a tool? or where i can go to get it done cheaper? :cry:

• SXP

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:26 PM

Go to Tech Articles/Suspension/A "Cheap" Damping Rod Holder

All of $0.50. Works like a charm.

• RCannon

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:48 PM

If you must have the real tool, motion pro sells them for 40.00 or so.

The PVC pipe works, but if I were to DIY it again I would try copper tubing. Something with more strength than the pvc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted November 03, 2004 - 06:14 PM

I think he's asking about the damper rod holding tool (two nuts), not the cartridge holding tool (pvc pipe) :cry:

• Brettv

Posted November 03, 2004 - 07:10 PM

thanks guys, actually, i got mixed up, i was after ther cartridge tool, i just made one out of steel pipe that seems to fit, i havnt tried it yet, but looks promising, instead of the two nut trick i screwed the cap back on and used it as the 'locknut'
thanks for everyones help :cry:

• milsy

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:13 AM

I made the tool and have completed changing the fork seals, however I found out from a friend that it's not necessary to use the castle tool and you just use a rattle gun instead. I asked my local yamaha shop and that is also the way they do it. I might try one next time.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.