Losing Coolant But Cannot See Where?

3 replies to this topic
  • shamrock400

Posted November 03, 2004 - 04:34 PM

I am losing about half a radiator for every hour of riding and cannot see where its coming out, its not the overflow hose or the water pump hole, the oil is fine and I do not notice a loss in power,I just changed the radiator cap and its not that hot in CA this time of year.
Any Suggestions? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2004 - 09:12 PM

If you are certain that there are no external leaks, it isn't getting out at the cap or the pump, and there is no coolant in the oil, there's only about one thing left.

Check to see if the inside of your radiator smells like your exhaust. Pull your cam cover and check the torque on your head bolts. There has been at least one TT'r who found one loose. If you do also, replace the head gasket.

The engine can be pulling water in past tne head gasket without it leaking enough compression to notice much of a drop in performance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 99raptor

Posted November 04, 2004 - 07:46 AM

if your losing coolant and don't see it externally,the only other choice is internal. check for bubbles in radiator coolant[when full] with engine running.good luck ,it doesn't sound like its gonna be pretty.

• twowheellen1

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:28 PM

If your coolant is getting in your cylinder the spark plug will usually become rusty on it's end.

TW

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.