03 YZ450F Hot Start/Fuel Needle

8 replies to this topic
  • GreggT

Posted November 03, 2004 - 03:44 PM

When my 450F stalls in a race it takes 5 minutes to start. I try hot start, full throttle, no throttle. I have idle turned up with a Zip Ty fuel needle set at 2 turns out. I'm tired of loosing while kicking. Any help? :cry:

• yzf450jack

Posted November 03, 2004 - 04:13 PM

Maybe 2 turn's is incorrect You have to adjust for the weather and altitude :cry: just about every time you ride! or it's a pain in the :cry: starting it :cry:

• GreggT

Posted November 03, 2004 - 06:07 PM

How do you adjust the fuel needle?

• ch3

Posted November 03, 2004 - 06:29 PM

I used to struggle getting my 04 to start also. It seems to start better if I kick it through slowly as apposed to quickly. If I flail away in a big panic, it can get real stubborn about starting. Usually one or two lazy half hearted kicks will get it going. I've fiddled with the fuel screw (zip-tie) but it doesn't seem to affect starting very noticably. I use the hot start in the summer but don't seem to need it much in the winter.

Something to think about,
Charlie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnB

Posted November 03, 2004 - 08:37 PM

Use the fuel screw to lean it out. It's ok if it back fires once in awhile. One thing that I do if I fall over or stall and it doesn't start within 2-3 kicks is to turn the gas off. This seems to work for me.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2004 - 07:01 AM

When my 450F stalls in a race it takes 5 minutes to start. I try hot start, full throttle, no throttle. I have idle turned up with a Zip Ty fuel needle set at 2 turns out. I'm tired of loosing while kicking. Any help? :cry:

I had the same issue - as well as too much wheelspin on hardpack. I was very frustrated!! And that is why I(and many many more 03 owners) added the GYT 5oz flywheelweight - it is complete - just remove the stock flywheel - and install the new one - works like a champ and no loss of power - just smooths it out - this is what was added to the 04 & probably the 05 - :cry:

• skthom2320

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:31 AM

If it's hard to start when hot is is probably a little too rich on the pilot circuit. Turn your fuel screw in at least a 1/2 turn. Maybe even a full turn. You shoud have slight popping on deceleration. It's too far in if the idle "hangs" a little high after blipping the throttle.

• GreggT

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:50 AM

Interesting. I have a 12 oz weight now.
As far as the fuel needle, I'm at 2 turns out now and the idle does hang high maybe I'm to lean not too rich.

• skthom2320

Posted November 04, 2004 - 11:03 AM

Maybe the pilot jet needs a cleaning. I had trouble getting my jetting dialed once. It turned out that a speck of dirt had gotten in the pilot jet and made the idle hang, but the off-idle response was like it was too rich. Anyway, I pulled the jet to put in a different size and found that it was clogged.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.