Honda XR 650R vs Yamaha WR 450F

33 replies to this topic
  • huntmaster

Posted November 08, 2004 - 10:42 AM

I like both bikes. Having owned a WR400 in the past and ridden the newer 450's more recently though I have to admit to sharing the same opinion as the Cycle World shootout noted above . The 450 just doesn't FEEL any lighter then the 650 in the woods, despite being lighter "on paper". It seems to get compared to the 650 instead of the other 450's that are along for a ride. And the motor feels like a 125 compared to the grunt of the BRP. I like the WR but it is not a "lightweight" alternative to a 650R. The 450's magic button IS nice though, but of course unlike my old WR400, the Honda actually starts! :cry:

• scorch

Posted November 08, 2004 - 10:55 AM

I like both bikes. Having owned a WR400 in the past and ridden the newer 450's more recently though I have to admit to sharing the same opinion as the Cycle World shootout noted above . The 450 just doesn't FEEL any lighter then the 650 in the woods, despite being lighter "on paper". It seems to get compared to the 650 instead of the other 450's that are along for a ride. And the motor feels like a 125 compared to the grunt of the BRP. I like the WR but it is not a "lightweight" alternative to a 650R. The 450's magic button IS nice though, but of course unlike my old WR400, the Honda actually starts! :cry:

I am thinking of getting a wr450f, they seem like good bikes. How much do they weight? Around 240lbs? I was thinking that racing hare scrambles on the wr would be way easier than on the xr650r. Specially when you drop the xr650r on a steep hill, and it floods. :cry:

• highmark1

Posted November 21, 2004 - 04:34 PM

I have a 650R uncorked with white bros r4 and edelbrock sittin on my desk waiting to be installed. I too often wonder if I should have bought a wr 450f or crf450 because i wear myself out riding the brp. The brp won out over the two 450's mainly because of price but recently the wr450's have become a whole lot more affordable, 04's new that is and with the price of the crf450x I won't be owning that anytime soon. So the delema is do I keep the brp and buy a wr also or spen the mony on the brp to make it handle and ride better ie full suspension mod?

• resslera

Posted November 21, 2004 - 04:39 PM

I asked the same question on this forum a good while back and fortunately I had the opportunity to ride a WR450. Excellent bike. Things I noticed after buying my 650R. The WR450 is not that much lighter. Maybe if you weigh 160 the 450 will feel a lot lighter but I just didn't see it. When it comes down to it, the 650 just outpowers the 450. I don't think anyone can deny that.

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 22, 2004 - 11:19 AM

I must be honest: I am not a dirt guy. Sorry. ALso I have no experience with the WR though they must be very competent, judging by the numbers they sell.

But I DO have a 2001 BRP. Bought it off eBay in March 04, in sweet condition, from an honest dude in Austin, shipped it by Forward Air. I bought the bike as a base on which to build a street-legal supermoto. It came uncorked, with a Pro-Circuit T4 exhaust with stainless headers, otherwise stock.

I have added:
- Excel 3.5x17" and 4.25x17" rims, polished silver, with gold-annodized Z-Billet hubs and Buchanan spokes
- Michelin Pilot Sport 130 and 150 rubber
- Applied Racing billet top triple clamp with BPR steering damper and AR fat bars
- 320mm EBC front rotor w/ caliper offset
- Russell s/s braided front brake line
- E-Line UFO dual sport kit
- TrailTech computer
- DataTool's RevLight digital tach (sweet, but a major pain to wire)
- HONDA CB350 NOS Ignition Switch on fabricated aluminum mounting.
- Moose 15-tooth front sprocket (to compensate for 17" wheels, AND to try to keep the front wheel on the ground more)
- (just ordered) Edelbrock Quicksilver pumper

So far, I am in love with this bike. I own two other bikes, both very expensive Harleys and this 650R would be the last to go if I ever needed to sell anything. Yeah, kicking it over can be a pain sometimes (hense the soon-to-be-installed Quicksilver) but I do not care. Set up with its current supermoto style it is too sexy, IMHO. No, haven't raced it yet.

The one thing the WR has that I lust for is the inverted forks. That's mainly an asthetic thing because the 650R forks are quite competent and strong.

Anyway, my two cents re BRP vs WR.

Robert McAnally
Mt. Top, PA

• cat0020

Posted November 22, 2004 - 11:40 AM

Robert,
Your bike sounds like a copy of mine.. except the USD forks. I'm in eastern PA.. maybe you should bring your XR to the Battletrax events in PA next year.

Posted Image

• pigryder

Posted November 23, 2004 - 02:08 PM

I have to agree, but also I live in PA and ride tight wood trails alot and the BRP is the most versatile bike I have ever owned or even ridden! Its the one stop do it all bike! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted November 23, 2004 - 02:10 PM

I hope I die ridding my PIG!

• azwr450f

Posted November 23, 2004 - 02:24 PM

you have to post this in a non biased thread.... buy an 04 wr not the 05

• huntmaster

Posted November 23, 2004 - 03:35 PM

you have to post this in a non biased thread....

Like the CRF450X comments in the WR forum! :cry:

• 99wr400

Posted January 17, 2005 - 05:36 PM

It was cycleworld, if we are talking about the same article, and it was with the top "enduro" machines from each company, they "uncorked" all the bikes, so they were at a more equal playing field. The XR650 was the best bike out of the ones that didnt make the top 3 (or 4?) they had the WR450, WR250, KTM EXC450, EXC 250 (2stroke), and A husqvarna 250 (4 stroke) and a 450 (4 stroke) and of course, Honda's CRF250X won. I dont know how a little bike won out of that group, It sounds like the magazine had a little money incentive from Honda...

• brrpr

Posted January 17, 2005 - 09:58 PM

For enduro i have only seen the '04 and 05 TE450 and TE510 Husqvarnas win in recent comparisons...

I havent seen the XR650R win any magazine comparisons in many years. Outside of 3-4 desert races in Nevada and 3 (un-opposed) in Baja i havent seen a Honda win off road in many years. Not since Summers was da man in the '90's...but for sure the WR450 wins lots and lots of races.

The XR650R is probably the most reliable and durable dirt bike now offered. The WR450 is probably the second most reliable and durable dirt bike made. The KTM's are right behind it. It loooks like the '04 and 05 Huskies are also in that league. The now dated DR-Z is certainly very durable--but isnt as durable as the above. The CRF250X Honda is probably the least reliable and for sure the least durable (the manual says to rebuild the engine every 15 hours!) bike offered for off-road. Of course some of the little wife and kiddie bikes are exceptions to all this.

• huntmaster

Posted January 18, 2005 - 05:42 AM

It was cycleworld, if we are talking about the same article, and it was with the top "enduro" machines from each company..... Honda's CRF250X won. I dont know how a little bike won out of that group, It sounds like the magazine had a little money incentive from Honda...

No better example of the difference in perspective between the magazine types who just get to ride the bikes and the rest of us who have to own and maintain them! Yes, the 650R did pretty well against the "rest" of the group there considering it's a five year old design now. After reading that (and riding both) I certainly didn't want to run out and replace mine with a WR450 though...button or no button!

• highmark1

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:31 PM

Now Ive got one of each. Picked up an 04 wr and love it. Two different riding styles but each has their place. The 450wr is definitely lighter and easier to single track but won't run with the 650 wide open. Feels a little more stable at the higher speeds than the 650 and easier to throw around at slower speeds. More air on the 450, I caught BIG AIR(bout 2 1/2 feet haha) well it felt big. If I had to give up one it would be the 650 but I don't so its all good.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.