Weird noise and unrelated oil leak

6 replies to this topic
  • sjwr450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 06:33 PM

My 450 has a weird noise. When you give it gas (only) it squeaks. Like a mouse. Even in neutral going down the trail. Any ideas? No it's not the chain.

Also I have oil leaking from a bolt that hold the cylinder down. It's the bolt that the clutch cable bolts too. It's minor but annoying. Replace the washer, tighten, any ideas?

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:05 PM

The first thing that comes to my mind is an exhaust leak at the head/header. It should be under warranty, right?

• sjwr450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:11 PM

Warranty? No I don't think so. Were you reffering to the noise or oil leak?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2004 - 09:40 PM

I don't know, both. Maybe it's a habitual holdover from working around cars for so many years, but I sort of expect an '05 model to get some kind of owner support. Come to think of it, it's a dirt bike. They probably have a clause that says the warranty ends as soon as you start it. What was I thinking?

• CBreaken

Posted November 02, 2004 - 09:47 PM

If your squeak sounds kinda like a whistle, and it gets higher pitched as the engine revs higher, this is normal, it's just the sould of air being inducted into the air box as far as I can tell.

• ThrakenH04

Posted November 03, 2004 - 03:51 AM

Mine was making a sound sorta like that from day 1 of buying it. I think its normal.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 03, 2004 - 03:58 AM

Normal, I think it's the carb, but it does sound like air getting sucked by something. Mine has done it since the beginning at small throttle openings. I've got the 426 but I can see how this would be similar on both bikes.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.