TPS test help needed

9 replies to this topic
  • 35racer

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:48 AM

I've been having problems with a huge bog around 1/4 throttle. I'm doing a bunch of jetting changes to figure it out, but also thought I would test the TPS.

The manual says I should be getting like 2 - 4 ohms across the blue and black wires of the connector with the throttle closed. I'm getting like 18!

Question 1: is the motor supposed to be running? (manual does not say to start motor)

Question 2: has anyone else tested theirs and received numbers like this? (I'm trying to find something else to test to see if my tester is out of whack!)

Thanks,

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 11:50 AM

Resistance should not change so the bike does not need to be running. Are you sure you set the scale right on your multimeter maybe it is 1.8 ohms? :cry:

• 35racer

Posted November 02, 2004 - 12:36 PM

My tester only has one ohm symbol (the upside down U, right?)

The manual shows that as the right symbol. At least I assume that's what is meant by ('upside down U x 1") ?

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:09 PM

Thats right. But it should have an adjustable scale. You may want to borrow a real one and test it again. They are cheap if you need to buy one. :cry:

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 02, 2004 - 06:04 PM

I bought a cheap digit multimeter at Sears for 20 bucks. it will do everything you need. It has all of the settings for ac and dc. ohms. and checking diodes. Its probably not as accurate as a Fluke but it also doesnt cost over 200 bones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted November 02, 2004 - 06:42 PM

unless you just want to use your tester, the best way to check to see if the tps is part of your bog problem is to unplug it. simple enough.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:39 PM

Agreed! :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted November 02, 2004 - 08:21 PM

The manual says I should be getting like 2 - 4 ohms across the blue and black wires of the connector with the throttle closed. I'm getting like 18!

Question 1: is the motor supposed to be running? (manual does not say to start motor)

Engine off, disconnect the TPS when you measure for resistance. Make sure you use the correct scale. If you do it running, and connected, then you'd want to use voltage and look for the difference or the voltage on the return wire (input)

• 35racer

Posted November 03, 2004 - 09:12 AM

Well... the good news is that my 1/4 throttle stumble is gone and the bike seems to be running great (based on a quick ride around my neighborhood).

TPS is connected. Gray wire is now disconnected. 48 Pilot.

I am not sure if the Gray wire or the 48 pilot solved the issue (and after taking the tank off a thousand times I am not looking to test) :cry:

So... I guess the TPS was working properly (or maybe I'll disconnect it and see if I notice any change... as that connector is simple)

Thanks for the input.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 03, 2004 - 09:08 PM

Glad you got it working good. FCR carb on the Yamaha is very sensitive to weather changes and needs rejetting for every season. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.