TUSK CLUTCH KIT??

3 replies to this topic
  • flyinguitars

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:51 AM

Have any of you tried the tusk clutch kit? The kit with springs included is 44.99....check it out :
Tusk+Clutch+Kit+With+Heavy+Duty+Springs~~~~~50' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.rockymoun... Springs~~~~~50

any good, bad, or ugly on this kit?

Thanks,
Mike

• RCannon

Posted November 02, 2004 - 05:16 AM

I put one of these kits in a 98 suzuki RM 250 . The kit works just fine. This bike had a terribl eclutch from day one. Anything that works in this bike should be fine in a good machine!

Seriously, the parts appeared well made. For the price it cannot be beat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted November 02, 2004 - 05:26 AM

Cool...thats all I needed to hear. I'll give one a try in my 426 and post a report in the future.
Thanks,
Mike

• flyinguitars

Posted November 29, 2004 - 09:53 AM

I just wanted to give an update. I installed the tusk clutch kit in my 2001 426 a few weeks ago. I got the kit with the "heavy duty" springs....the springs were made by EBC. I put three rides on the clutch and the springs are shot. I read somewhere that someone had the same problem with the EBC springs right after I installed the kit, so I wasn't too suprised. I noticed on the first ride that something was up....I had to adjust my clutch cable at the handle bar lever every hour or so until the end of the day. When I got home and started the bike, the clutch wouldn't engage, so I had to adjust the cable down by the clutch actuator arm. I was hoping that the springs were just "breaking in" and would settle to stable size. Next ride the same thing happened...as did the third ride. After the third ride, I pulled the springs out and measured them with dial calipers. They went from 1.97" (when the were new- 3 rides ago) to 1.86"....well below the lower spec of 1.92"....
So, I had to rig something to ride this past friday. Since thanksgiving was the day before, I was screwed for any chance of getting new springs, so I got up early and headed to home depot at 6:30 am. I bought some flat washers that were roughly the same size (outer and Inner diameter) of the springs. I bolted them together in line and cut a bunch of "v" grooves in them (for oil flow). Then I put the springs back in andadded a single washer at the outside end of the springs....put the spring bolts back in an ...viola...my clutch worked again......It got me thru the day, but the friggen piece of crap springs squished even further.
I just ordered Yamaha stock clutch springs from my dealer. My parts guy told me that he's heard this complaint before involing aftermarket clutch springs and yamahas. The stock springs were only 15.00, so its no big deal pocketbook wise...just a pain in the a$$.
My advise for anyone thinking about ordering the tusk clutch kit?
I'd get the kit thats available without the springs and order stock oem springs.
I checked the tusk plates and they all looked and measured perfect.....other then the crappy springs, I'd get the plate kit again

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.