Gas Tank Problems

3 replies to this topic
  • Lewt

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:20 PM

I own an 01 650 which after rides in the rockies and on the plains of Nebraska has a cracked tank in several places. I have never went down hard or have taken the tank off the bike. Has this ever happened to any body else? Just above the gas cap it is so bad that it leaks.

• mountainrider

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:24 PM

Most people replace the tanks with a larger plastic type.I have a Clarke on mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:37 PM

Mine('03) is cracked in the same place.

I also have never gone down and hit the tank in that region. Seems to be right in front of the gas cap.

I also have some cracks developing at the very bottom of the tank on the left side that are not from impacts. I have one large crack(3"long) that is not leaking fuel yet.

I had the same cracks develop on my XR400 tank, and I believe it is from the sun or heat. Large cracks develop on the outside of the tank but fuel does not leak out for a while.

Might be caused by UV light. :cry: :cry:

• Lewt

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:48 PM

That is the same as my 650. I have no idea when they started. I used some poxy from an RC store to seal them. It is supposed to be gas resistant but time will tell. i will replace the tank as soon as possible.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.