Rocky/slick downhills...problems!

4 replies to this topic
  • volk

Posted November 01, 2004 - 02:40 PM

I am trying to adjust to my XR600R, but the one area I am really strugling with is downhills, especially when rocks or anything mildly slick is involved. I live in Colorado, so I run into these conditions at regular intervals...I am starting to look pretty battered at this point.

I feel as though there isn't enough brake to slow the beast down. I am also unable to get the bike to track in a straight line downhill. I always wind up sliding the rear out and to my right, which always puts me completely out of position for any switchbacks. While my rear tire isn't great, it should be able to grip much better than it is now. I am not just laying on the rear brake here. I am wondering if I am in the wrong position on the bike or am unable to preload the suspension enough or what??? I am getting tired of falling though. I haven't fallen this much in years.

Any advice on slowing the beast down on this kind of terrain?

• zx7rye

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:05 AM

Just try and get as much of your weight over the rear wheel as possible. Take a look at mountain bikers. On downhills they are literally laying their stomachs on the seat to weight that rear as much as possible. The front wheel should just track over the terrain and little braking up front should be used. If you encounter an obstacle with the front brakes on you will likely endo over. With wieght over the rear, you will allow that front end to track more easily. I use a pulsating braking method but the rear is used much more liberally. Have faith in the suspension.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:37 AM

Get your weight far back and SQUEEZE the bike with your legs. While you want to get your weight very far back, you don't want to lock your arms. You want to be able to move back even further if need be so all your weight doesn't transfer to your front wheel if it drops into a hole or hits a rock. Don't sit down no matter how nervous you get!!!!

• sportbiker929

Posted November 02, 2004 - 08:59 AM

like said above, i also like to use tyhe motor to slow me some. Have the bike in a lower gear and use the clutch to ease engine braking in and out as required.
Mitch

• volk

Posted November 02, 2004 - 01:54 PM

Get your weight far back and SQUEEZE the bike with your legs. While you want to get your weight very far back, you don't want to lock your arms. You want to be able to move back even further if need be so all your weight doesn't transfer to your front wheel if it drops into a hole or hits a rock. Don't sit down no matter how nervous you get!!!!

I think this is my problem. I find that I have to lock my arms to get back on the bike at all. I think my bars are too far forward and need to have more bend...they are preventing me from getting back far enough. I am only 5'9" and my arms aren't all that long. I have NEVER had this problem on my CR250, so I think this might be it. Any thoughts?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.