Its Alive

6 replies to this topic
  • bakeray

Posted November 01, 2004 - 10:02 AM

I took the BRP out on Halloween to try it out since the exhaust and airbox are done. I also swapped out the front sprocket for a 13 tooth. Even without rejetting and manifold mods (yet) it is a completly different bike. Next we install the rest of the parts and the new factory effex graphics and seat cover kit...My seat needs a little recovering after going over backwards last summer :cry:

• ncpilot2

Posted November 05, 2004 - 08:20 AM

Just wait till you finish the uncorking/rejetting. It is a beast! I ride mine around the yard sometimes when I don't get a chance to haul it somewhere, and it works as good as any tiller I've seen! My wife is always saying "you're tearing up the grass!" and I just smile. The first time you ride it after the uncork, make sure you sit up close to the tank especially when you hit 2nd/3rd gear! :cry: :cry: :cry:

• CrackiN

Posted November 05, 2004 - 06:16 PM

Keep a close eye on the engine temp....Opening the airbox and the exhaust will lean the bike out an cause it to overheat...Trust me I have burnt 2 stators and a pulse coil ($700.00 lesson) You might think of getting a temp gage dipstick or some other way of monitoring the temp until you get it rejetted.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted November 05, 2004 - 09:59 PM

The bike will still be too slow with the stock jetting, and it will runner even leaner, and hotter, with the airbox and exhaust open, but with Stock jetting.
Re-jet the bike with a 175 main, and install the 40mm intake manifold/boot. After doing that, the bike will be a real BEAST! Like the other guy said, sit up close to the tank and hang on.
Gearing the bike lower than stock, as you have done, will only aggravate the trigger happy nature of the bike once it's been fully uncorked/re-jetted. Expect extremely touchy throttle response and instant acceleration; the bike motivates very very quickly. I'm sure you'll love it!

• RingKingPin

Posted November 06, 2004 - 07:34 AM

Keep a close eye on the engine temp....Opening the airbox and the exhaust will lean the bike out an cause it to overheat...Trust me I have burnt 2 stators and a pulse coil ($700.00 lesson) You might think of getting a temp gage dipstick or some other way of monitoring the temp until you get it rejetted.....

Thats very strange. Of the 40,000 some posts that I've seen on the xr650r yahoo forum, I've never heard of this problem before. Put the 175 or even richer depending on where you ride and what exhaust you have on it. You'll know if your running lean by the popping on decel, otherwise your doing fine. Take a plug reading for good measure.

Geoff

• CrackiN

Posted November 07, 2004 - 07:22 PM

Thats very strange. Of the 40,000 some posts that I've seen on the xr650r yahoo forum, I've never heard of this problem before. Put the 175 or even richer depending on where you ride and what exhaust you have on it. You'll know if your running lean by the popping on decel, otherwise your doing fine. Take a plug reading for good measure.

Geoff

Mine never popped on decel and the plug was tan....Temp gauge would only cost $40.00....Better safe than sorry I say...I don't think anyone will pay for the parts if thier advice is wrong.... :cry:

• mikekay

Posted November 08, 2004 - 12:38 PM

At last years Dakar Rallye the 650R's didnt do well at all. Stators going out and dust getting thru the airfilter (taking out the top end) where the main catastrophic failures.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.