YZF 450 vs. CRF 450

37 replies to this topic
  • 01yz426

Posted November 01, 2004 - 12:10 AM

Who wins the battle???? Currently I have a 2001 YZ 426 which I love, but I borrowed my buddies YZ 450 and think that it's time for an upgrade..... I have yet to ride a CRF450 but like the idea that it is a tad bit lighter and still contains 5-gears.... What is your take on these 2 bikes??? I ride mostly dunes/track and a little trail from time to time...

• condog_aus

Posted November 01, 2004 - 12:45 AM

I dont think too many people in this forum will be telling you to go red. None the less they are both awsome bikes. In Aust Dirt Bike shooutout the CRF won by the narrowest of margins. The CRF had more explosive power delivery, better ergos but lost out in suspension and steering.
With out a doubt the Yamaha has better engine durability and has no oil consumption problems that plague the CRF. Either way youll get a top bike but personally id go the YZ450F for durability + my local shop is Yamaha which is definitely a deciding factor. :thumbsup:Good Luck.

• brown77

Posted November 01, 2004 - 09:10 AM

The CRF had more explosive power delivery, better ergos but lost out in suspension and steering.

???????????

I think you have it backwards
The yz has more power

the honda handles better ,turns better,and has better suspension.

:cry:

• John_Lorenz

Posted November 01, 2004 - 09:14 AM

I saw Godizilla vs Space Godzilla last night

Godzilla Won, he saved the earth :cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 01, 2004 - 10:08 AM

Now I'm really confused... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok, Godzilla won, and I think he is green, so are you telling me that a kawasaki is the best bike?

I have seen that inside his mouth is red, so maybe Honda is the best...

Oh man, now I'm even worse off than before...

:cry:

• Fastest1

Posted November 01, 2004 - 11:31 AM

Now I'm really confused... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I bet Gozilla's nut are blue! Have you ever seen a mate for him? :lol: :lol: :cry:

Ok, Godzilla won, and I think he is green, so are you telling me that a kawasaki is the best bike?

I have seen that inside his mouth is red, so maybe Honda is the best...

Oh man, now I'm even worse off than before...

:lol:

• berudd

Posted November 01, 2004 - 12:37 PM

Are you going for an 05 bike? If you follow National AX then you have probably heard of Jim Neese. He is local to my area. Anywho, the suspension guy was all deal with is Jim's buddy/mechanic. He said that when they were testing the 05 CRF a month or so ago that the power was "explosive". I have ridden 02, 03 and 04 CRFs and an 03 YZF in addition to my 02 426. I have always favored the CRF but the 03 YZF is a blast as well. The suspension was quite a more harsh than the Honda. But the new twin chamber Kayabas on the Yammie may fix that. As far as the brutal power of the YZF, I really could not tell a difference between the YZF and 04 CRF. They both had more snap that I recall in the earlier CRFs. But, I found neither brutal. But I am a novice and don't push it like a pro, maybe if I did, I would notice more fatigue on the YZF. I will say that the first time I rode the 03 YZF it was stock and I stalled it alot. Since then it has gotten a flywheel weight and it is much better. Maybe a bit smoother on power as well. Hard to say.

The above point about the oil issues is a valid one. As close as these bike are, that could be a deciding factor. demand seems lower on previous year's YZF 450s and I am seeing some deals there so keep that in mind.

I think both of these bikes are great and when when it comes down to it, I say just go with your gut. When you think about ride, is it on blue or red? Just go with that.

• revolucien

Posted November 01, 2004 - 12:52 PM

I think you should be getting the picture that the bikes are very close in performance, so the next couple questions should be reliability and price :cry:

• Scooter426

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:11 PM

I have a 2000 yz426 and I test rode the 03 crf450 and the 04 crf450. I had already ridden my friends 03 yz450. I ended up buying and 04 yz450. lots of parts transfer over easily, and the honda bikes did not stand out as really any better. They are all really good right out of the box. The 04 yz450 was purchased for only $4000 in like new condition. I could not find any 04crf450 for that price. I was looking at 4500-5500 at least for the honda. Now all of my spare stuff can be transferred over to the new 04 yz450. The air filter fits, the brakes are the same, same brake lines, fork guards, sprockets, etc. lots of little things. I am very happy with the bike. I put an 8oz flywheel weight and changed the bars to 1 1/8 oversize. I also put a 50T sprocket on the rear. The next mod is the chain, but that is all it needs to be setup.

(I may fiddle with the jetting a bit to get it dialed. It is a bit lean down low at 1/8 throttle. It surges)

-scooter:cool:

• twistngrip

Posted November 01, 2004 - 08:40 PM

A friend just got rid of his '03 YZ and got an '04 CRF. He says he is faster on the CRF and it doesn't wear him out as much at the MX track. He said he likes the CRF suspension better. Another guy with the CRF told me at his height (6'2") the CRF cockpit was a little cramped. I love my YZ, but it is hard to argue with the ultra-positive reviews the CRF receives.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2004 - 11:22 PM

Your best bet is to ride the CRF and decide. They are both great bikes.

For me, the YZ is "roomier", particularly when I stand. The CRF has great suspension, but if you're looking at the '05s, the YZ's new fork is supposed to put it right up there with the good Showa stuff. The CRF feels easier to flick around, but I don't think it steers as well as the YZ. I feel like I can pick and change lines better with mine.

I also do not like the oiling system on the Hondas. I think it's great that the trans is isolated from the engine oil, but not having any more than 700cc of oil in the engine worries me. Besides dry sump oiling is simply a better approach.

The Honda also has not matched the record of reliabilty of the YZ450, or YZFs in general. On the other hand, a lot of cars aren't as reliable as YZFs. It's a pretty tough act to follow in that regard.

But in the end, you have to like it, not me. Personally, I think we should have one of each, and decide which was better after 2 or 3 years. :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 02, 2004 - 05:58 AM

For 05 either bike is awesome - they both have plus's and minus's.
The Yamaha is more reliable
The Honda is has a 5 speed so for your riding that may be the way to go -
Suspension win probably goes to the honda even though it is very close for 05 -
both have same or very similar power delivery -
This may or may not matter - there are 5 to 1 CRF's sold to YXF's sold in my area of the country - so the used CRF market is in the toilet for resale....(too much supply). Great deals on very little used 04's... :cry:

• brown77

Posted November 02, 2004 - 08:36 AM

This may or may not matter - there are 5 to 1 CRF's sold to YXF's sold in my area of the country - so the used CRF market is in the toilet for resale....(too much supply).

In cali, the crf hold there value wayyyyy better that YZF's do
my buddy just sold his beat 04crf450 for $5600 :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 02, 2004 - 09:30 AM

This may or may not matter - there are 5 to 1 CRF's sold to YXF's sold in my area of the country - so the used CRF market is in the toilet for resale....(too much supply).

In cali, the crf hold there value wayyyyy better that YZF's do
my buddy just sold his beat 04crf450 for $5600 :cry:

That is to be expected since you Cali folks pay more per bike than anyone else in the USA....I can buy a new 05 CRF for 5699 out the door....

• brown77

Posted November 02, 2004 - 09:50 AM

True, but we make more money than most of the country :cry:

• yz_for_me

Posted November 03, 2004 - 05:51 PM

With out a doubt the Yamaha has better engine durability and has no oil consumption problems that plague the CRF.

Just yesterday, I had a salesman at my local Honda dealer try to explain to me that the Honda's were designed to use oil (1/5 of a quart per tank of gas) and that it was a desirable feature. :cry: :cry: He also tried to tell me the Yamahas went through valves and heads like they were water. :cry: :cry:
Don't get me wrong, I'd ride either one in a heartbeat. I just thought his "salesmanship" was funny.

• skthom2320

Posted November 04, 2004 - 10:48 AM

I have an '04 CRF and came off an '01 YZF. I've ridden '03 and '04 YZF's.

The '04 YZF and CRF are very, very close in terms of performance and suspension. The ergos and "feel" of the bikes are different to me though. I feel like I'm sittin on "top" on the YZF where the CRF gives the feeling of sitting "in" it. I'm 5'10" if that matters. The CRF gives me more confidence in the corners since it doesn't feel like I am sitting so high. As a result I think my corner speed is better. I don't notice anything different anywhere else on the track. However, ergos and feel are very subjective.

What I do like about the CRF is the fact that the fit and finish is top quality, the bike is a little easier to work on than the YZF, and the aluminum frame keeps the bike looking nice. I wanted something different than the same old YZF.

As for reliability, I have had my CRF since Feb and haven't seen any problems with valve clearance, oil loss, etc.

The bikes are so close really that you should get whatever makes you the happiest (best deal, best looking, same bike as your buddies, different bike as your buddies, etc).

No matter what you get, there will still be that one rider who blows past you on the clapped out 6 year old KX in a corner. Rider skill is still the important part.

• OHVrider

Posted November 04, 2004 - 11:24 AM

My opinion (and its only that) is that the CRF fits shorter riders better (5'10" or less) and the YZF fits taller riders (5'10" or more) better.

The CRF has a smoother power curve on the dyno (more like my 525, but has more peak HP) the YZF has more of a hit, but in 05 Yamaha has made it better. If you pour $2K into porting etc. the CRF can get more Peak power.

The Yamaha 5-vavle design limits the peak power, but it MUCH more reliable because the vavles are smaller and float less at high RPM's. Also they tend to stay seated better and longer because they are smaller. I'd say you could expec to get twice the life out of valves on the YZF.

The Honda's CR/CRF's had a MUCH better fork til 05, now they are close.

Honda's rear is more in sync with there fork cause they've had more time to work it out. I'd suspect that a suspension shop will get the few nits that people are seeing out, but its still better then a 04 etc. I think the YZ's are closer here than every before, and in a year or two might pass Honda cause Honda has been so far ahead there they might be sleeping on this one.

The Honda feels like you sit in it because it has lower pegs (toes closer to the ground to wack on stuff) and the seat is 2" lower as well. I think distance from the seat to the bars is taller on a honda stock as well. Yamaha's are 39" seat height, so they're the tallest out there.

Both are good bikes, but I bought the one that came with a warrenty. :cry:

Cheers,

• crfdude86

Posted November 04, 2004 - 11:53 AM

in the new dirtbike magazine they do a comparison test.

• ulmanb

Posted November 04, 2004 - 12:03 PM

I have a 03 crf450, I have had absolutely no problems with it and have no oil consumption issues. I bought honda because I got a unbeleivable deal (new cheaper than used). At the time I didnt want the feel of a 426 and didnt figure the 250F would be enough bike.
I have yet to ride a yzf450, but I have ridden the 250f and a 02 426. What I like about the honda is that as soon as I sat on it, it felt very comfortable like a fitted glove. The Yamahas I felt as if I was sitting on them instead of in them.
probably the best thing to do if you cant test ride them is go sit on both in the showrooms and choose the one you feel most comfortable on because both make great engines.
One other thing, a couple of my buddies ride 426 and wr250f and both of them are jealous of my seat because the yamaha seats feel like solid oak.

If I didnt have a honda, it would probably own a yamaha

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.