best way over rocky sections??????

12 replies to this topic
  • thumper245

Posted October 31, 2004 - 11:29 PM

What is the best way over a section of rocks. I just finished a trip threw goler wash to stripedbute and the rocks just about kicked my but. Some how I got lucky and made it over them without hitting the ground. I dont want to be lucky, I want to make it over them without the point and throtle and hope I make it over them. Then when on the way out doing the same thing. I hope that you all can help. Thanks in advance for any effert to help me on this. or is this the only way? PS I can only touch with one tippy toe.

• tirebiter

Posted November 01, 2004 - 02:12 AM

About the only advice I can give you is stand up, squeeze the tank between your legs and keep your fingers crossed. :cry:

• bluestragler

Posted November 01, 2004 - 05:14 AM

Do you cross your fingers with the clutch or throttle hand.

• tirebiter

Posted November 01, 2004 - 05:38 AM

Clutch hand. Throttle hand is for nose pickin... :cry:

• Kritter

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:00 AM

are these boulders that you have to squeeze through and ride completly up and over(rocks the size of cars) or are they the jagged lava type rocks that slash your tires?

• bluestragler

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:26 AM

Thanks tirebiter I was confused. I suppose an open faced helmet is required.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted November 01, 2004 - 08:09 AM

I can only touch tippy toe on my bike too and the best advice to give you is no matter what (especailly on uphillls) keep it moving do not stop!!! Also somtimes what I do is take a good look at the section of trail and pick out the best, easiest line of travel would be. This all may seem like common sense but It does save you alot of energy and frustration. :cry:

• thumper245

Posted November 01, 2004 - 09:14 AM

are these boulders that you have to squeeze through and ride completly up and over(rocks the size of cars) or are they the jagged lava type rocks that slash your tires?

They are the ones about the size of bowling balls and up to about the size of a milk crate. Around here most of the time it is in a canyon and you come around a blind corner and there it is. You have little or no time to pick a line. Just squeeze the knees tighten grip and twist the right hand. They are usualy anywhere from 5-10 yard runs of rocks that everyone with a 4X4 has tryed to make it up. Some times you wonder if some person has tryed with a two wheele drive repetedly.

• CRUDE_DUDE

Posted November 01, 2004 - 11:04 AM

Personally I like the way the trials riders approach the terrain...confident and with purpose...like a not so casual acquaintence. I believe that waltzing with rocks and bolders requires meaningful choices otherwise resulting in painful consequenses. Your clutch and throttle are your best friends...having to use breaks means it's almost too late! I would use some of the "Smith" system of safe driving that truckers use...seriously.

1. Aim high in steering...
a. maintain eye lead time
b. gather relavent information from distant objects.
c. adjust eye lead to speed
d. keep vehicle rolling by adjusting to conditions
2. Get the BIG picture...
a. make and execute desisions early
b. avoid getting in situations that require reverse!
c. use knowledge/experience to make the ride safe
3. Keep your eyes moving...
a. move eyes every 1-3 seconds
b. avoid staring while evaluating relevant objects
That's about all that applies I think...I like going where other's dare to go too. The rock thing can be tricky for sure and I know luck doesn't always bring you home from a good day of riding...momentum is an required element, it has to be used as you would garlic in spaghetti sauce, to get you where you want to go. Hmmm, some people like lots of garlic...others just a little--I'm the latter at 38 and rising.

That's my .02

• don87xr600

Posted November 01, 2004 - 02:11 PM

turn your steering damper all the way up, gas it, and close your eyes! :cry:

• tirebiter

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:12 PM

Helmet? That's fer carring beer!! :cry:
Or, if yer lucky, the wife'll have one in her cooler!
( Mine's usually empty by sun up...)
http://community.web...208185053Evmjgj

• Mikie1

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Rocks and whoops are my forte, but this is definitely an acquired skill. Wish I had a forum like this, & had asked this same question years ago!

Fast and LOOSE. Loosen up your body, don't grip the bars so tight, and let the bike move under you. Also, keep the bike in as high a gear as you dare without stalling the motor; use your clutch to feed power to the rear wheel, taking care not to spin the tire. Keep momentum; this is really important for us guys with 29" inseams heheh! If you have a little run up time before those 4' ledge-type obstacles, get a little momemtum up, have the motor in a gear where you can rev the motor a little, drop the clutch & get a good drive up the face of the rock, but be ready to pull the clutch in a little & lower revs when the tire starts to spin. Keep your helmet over the handlebar mounts, or when standing up the really steep stuff, the front numberpate - you should be able to look down & see the white background.

In the boulders & big ruts where you have to "paddle", try to keep your but slid up toward the front of the seat, & lift your feet forward over obstacles, not back. Your helmet should be above the gas cap. Again, higher gear than you might think & easy on the throttle, using the clutch to feed power & keep wheelspin to a minimum.

Sounds like you probably did ok. Confidence is a big key in the rocks. Just keep practicing- you'll have it down in no time.

• thumper245

Posted November 01, 2004 - 10:22 PM

Rocks and whoops are my forte, but this is definitely an acquired skill. Wish I had a forum like this, & had asked this same question years ago!

Fast and LOOSE. Loosen up your body, don't grip the bars so tight, and let the bike move under you. Also, keep the bike in as high a gear as you dare without stalling the motor; use your clutch to feed power to the rear wheel, taking care not to spin the tire. Keep momentum; this is really important for us guys with 29" inseams heheh! If you have a little run up time before those 4' ledge-type obstacles, get a little momemtum up, have the motor in a gear where you can rev the motor a little, drop the clutch & get a good drive up the face of the rock, but be ready to pull the clutch in a little & lower revs when the tire starts to spin. Keep your helmet over the handlebar mounts, or when standing up the really steep stuff, the front numberpate - you should be able to look down & see the white background.

In the boulders & big ruts where you have to "paddle", try to keep your but slid up toward the front of the seat, & lift your feet forward over obstacles, not back. Your helmet should be above the gas cap. Again, higher gear than you might think & easy on the throttle, using the clutch to feed power & keep wheelspin to a minimum.

Sounds like you probably did ok. Confidence is a big key in the rocks. Just keep practicing- you'll have it down in no time.

That is pretty much what I am talking about but without the wanter. I am riding in dry river beds. The most part isnt bad but when you come around a corner and there is a steep incline/decline nothing but rounded rocks the only choice you have is gun it and hold on. Those situations are what I am talking about. So far I have been lucky and stayed on at least one wheel. I do know that I need to drop a tooth on the counter shaft, any tips will be helpful weather setup or teqnique all is appriciated. :cry: If we cross paths on the trail I will owe you a cold one at the end!!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.