lubing the forks under the dust seal

13 replies to this topic
  • CBreaken

Posted October 31, 2004 - 08:57 PM

How often and what type of grease are you guys using to lube the the front forks under the dust seals? I'm using pro circuit pc-03 o-ring and seal grease, and hitting it up about every 3rd ride.

• SureBlue

Posted October 31, 2004 - 10:12 PM

My opinion is to keep them dry and clean, just like I keep my cables. Excess grease only collects dirt. If you need to put there something, use silicone. I never liked the greasy forks after once putting grease under the dust covers.

• KaBooM

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:57 AM

If your having seal problems, dont jimmy it, fix it with the only seal with a 90 day garauntee.

Good Luck, Rob

• Fastest1

Posted November 01, 2004 - 11:28 AM

Let me start by saying I never had a problem with seals leaking. However I tried lubing the seals once, started leaking right after that. Talked to my suspension guy (John Mitchell, JM Racing) he advised to never do it. I havent done it since and have experienced no leaking since. I now think it traps dirt on the leg and the speed of the leg under compression carries the debris right under the seal. I once used a large thick o ring to measure fork travel on a roadrace bike (trick worked great on mtn bikes) You would never believe that an O ring the size I used would ever pass by the seal but when I pulled in from the 1st practice, oil was all down the side of my fairing. I was puzzled and started looking for an oil leak. Finally got around to looking at the fork legs for the o ring and it was gone. Lifted up the dust seal and voila you could see just a little of it sticking above the seal. Grabbed it with some needlenose pliers and pulled it out, refilled the fork with oil and it never leaked. Never used an Oring again either!

• SureBlue

Posted November 01, 2004 - 12:11 PM

I now think it traps dirt on the leg and the speed of the leg under compression carries the debris right under the seal.

Fastest, that's exactly what I meant. I have less problems now when I am just cleaning the dustseals and occasionally removing dirt with film negative from the seals. The manual says though to use lithium based grease...
I have also noticed, that washing the fork legs with high pressure carries the dirt under the seals, so I avoid pointing the spray on the upper end of the legs.

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 02, 2004 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, white lithium grease. I started doing that on an older Kawi with inverted forks and solved the issue.

One thing that should be mentioned is that if you have a leaking seal, really replace both the seal and the wipers. The whole reason you usually get leaks is dirt getting past the wipers. I know that you can get seal and wiper kits aftermarket for like $35 retail, cost is about $20 on them from like ProX. They seem to work excellent.

• CBreaken

Posted November 02, 2004 - 02:24 PM

I wanted to say thanks for the replies! I understand what you guys are saying about the grease attracting dirt, however with the PC-03 stuff the fork legs don't get greasy at all. The dust seals seem to keep the grease where it belongs, up at the fork seal. I too have never had a problem with my fork seals (knock on wood). I just wanted to see what you guys did. I seems like theres two ways about going about this: no grease no mess no worries, or grease and clean every 3 rides. Maybe this will have been my last time lubing them :cry:. Anyways thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:40 PM

I do grease mine with lithium grease. It's very very light, like half melted butter. Put a bunch under the wiper then install it, some will squirt out. Here is the important part: pump the forks, then wipe them, then pump them, then wipe them, etc.. After 4 or 5 times the forks will stay perfectly clean, no excess grease on them. :cry:

I can see having a problem if you use thick grease, such as the BelRay water proof. That's fantastic stuff, just not for forks. The lithium grease is at the parts stores in tubs, just a couple of bucks and very very light weight.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 02, 2004 - 06:10 PM

I do grease mine with lithium grease. It's very very light, like half melted butter. Put a bunch under the wiper then install it, some will squirt out. Here is the important part: pump the forks, then wipe them, then pump them, then wipe them, etc.. After 4 or 5 times the forks will stay perfectly clean, no excess grease on them. :cry:

I can see having a problem if you use thick grease, such as the BelRay water proof. That's fantastic stuff, just not for forks. The lithium grease is at the parts stores in tubs, just a couple of bucks and very very light weight.

ditto my lithium grease is still the same white as a month ago and i ride in some serious mud! i think i'm gonna clean it out and put in new grease,i thought it would go away after a while but its still there 300 mi later! :cry:

• stvmoto

Posted November 12, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Boy am I confused!To lube or not to lube?Guess I'll go with what the manual says.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 13, 2005 - 03:45 AM

Boy am I confused!To lube or not to lube?Guess I'll go with what the manual says.

I believe the manual says to use grease. :applause:

• AZcrRider

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:28 PM

I use the thinnest layer of grease around the inside of the dust seals, and, like an earlier post stated - pump the forks a couple of times so that no grease is left on the lower fork tube.

This thin layer can hold a piece of dirt in place if it gets past the dust seal and keep from going any further. Too much grease and it will roll, dirt included, up into the actual fork seal. No grease is better than too much, IMO. I use the ACe hardware white lithium variety and usually only upon installation of new fork seals.

• CV4

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:26 AM

I've tried it with and without grease and can't really see a difference. I do use Seal Savers and have never found even a spec of dirt under the dust seals.

The only benefit I can see to using grease is that it may keep the seals from drying out but that is just my opinion.

• DaveJ

Posted November 14, 2005 - 10:12 AM

How often and what type of grease are you guys using to lube the the front forks under the dust seals? I'm using pro circuit pc-03 o-ring and seal grease, and hitting it up about every 3rd ride.

I don't use grease on any of my set-ups for a host of reasons, however, I do run a light film of oil directly on the tube. I also don't run the spring tensioner on the dust seal either, for other obvious reasons. But then again, I don't ride or race in mud and if I did, I would reconsider my set-up.

If I was building forks for the masses, I would lube the seal. It's a more universal and lower maintenance approach.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.