What is the compression supposed to be on a 01 XR650R?

7 replies to this topic
  • Outrider

Posted October 31, 2004 - 10:50 AM

What is the compression supposed to be on a 01 XR650R? I plan on buying a used one in a couple of days.

• J_T

Posted October 31, 2004 - 01:21 PM

The service manual says 10.0:1

A good reference for future use is a Service Manual in PDF form @

Its helped me a ton! It's 147mb though so have some time to download it. But its worth it!

• BWB63

Posted October 31, 2004 - 01:57 PM

Are you asking what it is to be if you test the compression with a compression tester? Or the compression ratio of the piston?

• Outrider

Posted October 31, 2004 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I mean a compression test. I'm sure the bike is fine but I should be cautious anyway. I think the reading should be in PSI.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted October 31, 2004 - 06:26 PM

A new engine should/can put out 160psi according to the manual....I got 142 from a well used bike. I haven't done a compression test on my bike yet.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 31, 2004 - 07:51 PM

All I can tell ya is my first XR650 when I traded it in on a new XR650 was tested by the Honda shop and the compression was with in a
brand new bikes specs (whatever that is). It was a 2000 model which I rode for 3 years and it never gave me any problem. It had over
5000 miles on it. That was everything from sand dune riding without a paddle tire to desert to mountain trails.

It was the most dependable bike I had ever owned. My new one is too. It only has about 1500 miles on it. If it was taken care and does
not have 15 to 20 thousand miles on it I would suspect it to have perfect compression reading.
Maybe this information from the manual will help you.

Posted Image

• zx7rye

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:16 AM

You would be much better served using a leakdown test. Compression tests pinpoint nothing. They just tell you you've got reasonable compression or not. A leakdown is going to allow you to diagnose where the problem lies. Whether intake or exhaust side of the head....blowing by the rings etc. I am looking at an '02 this weekend. the owner claims it is in NEW condition. If I like it after inspection and a ride I plan on running the remaining battery of tests back in the garage.....and this will absolutely include a leakdown test. If you've got an air compressor capable of 100psi, you can make a homemade tester out of couplings and gauges from Sears. Worth the peace of mind IMHO.

• BWB63

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:49 AM

I think we are look to just say there is not a problem. Something to say.....I can buy this bike. A leak down test would be cool if it's your bike and you are looking for why you have low compression. If the bike looks good, not abused, and you want to make sure it hasn't been ran 40K miles on the road having a compression test of close to 160psi would be a good easy check.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.