heated grips?

69 replies to this topic
  • ninthrazor

Posted November 19, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well, I think every bike manufacturer is going to use different color wiring for different uses. i would definately, if you haven't already, buy a "FACTORY" (meaning not aftermarket) technical manual for your specific bike. it will outline in there what color wires go where and how they are routed. I recommend not using any aftermarket manuals due to their nature of being "in general" for generic use.

The kind of grip heaters I have used are the filament style that go under your hand grips on your handlebars. i looked at the complete "heated grips" with the wiring built in, and I did not like how cheese-ball they were, but that's just me.

Oh and about the worry of too much power out of the generator to your grips, this is why you have a regulator. The regulator will pull the power spikes away from ythe grips, not allowing them to be damaged...if your regulaotr is functioning properly.

• Frostbite

Posted November 24, 2007 - 04:49 AM

those guys have long since frozen to death

Long since frozen - yes, but not quite dead yet.

• spidennis

Posted November 24, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Frostbite! ...... I've been telling stories of your adventures to the young ones .... how's it going? Is it time for new adventures from you? Cool! (pun intended, of course!)

• Frostbite

Posted November 24, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Frostbite! ...... I've been telling stories of your adventures to the young ones .... how's it going? Is it time for new adventures from you? Cool! (pun intended, of course!)

Yes, it's time for some new adventures. I'm living a bit farther north now, in the tiny community of Pangnirtung, Nunavut. I'm a mere 30 miles south of the Arctic Cirlce, so I'm determined to ride across the circle this winter.

Although they've been snowmobiling here for the past 2 months, there are not a lot of trails yet. We have been getting dumped with fresh powder so right now the snow is a bit soft for any good bike riding, but it's getting better by the day. I get out for a spin 3 or 4 times a week and I think that the riding will be great in another 2 or 3 weeks, if the fresh snow slows down.

As for the heated handle grips, I'm not runing any just yet. We're hovering at -15 to -20C, and so far I'm geting away with Polarpaw MX gloves. I was out for 3 hours this morning and my hands were still fexible. My toes were a bit tingly in the Alpinstars though.

Now that I'm back riding again I'll try to get a post in now and then.

• spidennis

Posted November 24, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Yes, it's time for some new adventures. I'm living a bit farther north now, in the tiny community of Pangnirtung, Nunavut. I'm a mere 30 miles south of the Arctic Cirlce, so I'm determined to ride across the circle this winter.

Although they've been snowmobiling here for the past 2 months, there are not a lot of trails yet. We have been getting dumped with fresh powder so right now the snow is a bit soft for any good bike riding, but it's getting better by the day. I get out for a spin 3 or 4 times a week and I think that the riding will be great in another 2 or 3 weeks, if the fresh snow slows down.

As for the heated handle grips, I'm not runing any just yet. We're hovering at -15 to -20C, and so far I'm geting away with Polarpaw MX gloves. I was out for 3 hours this morning and my hands were still fexible. My toes were a bit tingly in the Alpinstars though.

Now that I'm back riding again I'll try to get a post in now and then.

Frostbite, after clicking on threads you've started, it just blew my whole afternoon! fun, fun reading (again)! I've done some work as a camera man for a hunting and fishing tv show a little while back, and your adventures (and a few others) have given me the idea of a new show: adventure, bikes, with a thread kinda feel ...... yeah, there's a few technical difficulities to over come, like being in several places at once ........ but I can edit that all together ...... but then again, we do have technology! Anyway, after reading about your your (almost last) adventure (in the magazine article), it's sure nice to keep reading about tales of the extreme! I've got to be one of the farther south usa guys here on TT but I do know of snow, ice, 30 below (F) but haven't yet had a bike in much snow and ice, but sure want to! got a place in upstate ny that I need to get a bike to ...... right on the lake, a frozen lake during the winter, jsut gotta put a few pieces together to make it all a frozen reality! Right now I gotta settle for a chilly drizzle , which is not at all as nice as snow, and is quite not a normal event here on south padre island, and I'm already getting cabin fever, so I got to go ride tomorrow, whatever the weather! So what setup are you riding these days? ...... headed into the drizzle for show chow now ....... dennis

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted November 24, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Welcome back! Still have the 400?

• Frostbite

Posted November 24, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Frostbite, after clicking on threads you've started, it just blew my whole afternoon! fun, fun reading (again)! I've done some work as a camera man for a hunting and fishing tv show a little while back, and your adventures (and a few others) have given me the idea of a new show: adventure, bikes, with a thread kinda feel ...... yeah, there's a few technical difficulities to over come, like being in several places at once ........ but I can edit that all together ...... but then again, we do have technology! Anyway, after reading about your your (almost last) adventure (in the magazine article), it's sure nice to keep reading about tales of the extreme! I've got to be one of the farther south usa guys here on TT but I do know of snow, ice, 30 below (F) but haven't yet had a bike in much snow and ice, but sure want to! got a place in upstate ny that I need to get a bike to ...... right on the lake, a frozen lake during the winter, jsut gotta put a few pieces together to make it all a frozen reality! Right now I gotta settle for a chilly drizzle , which is not at all as nice as snow, and is quite not a normal event here on south padre island, and I'm already getting cabin fever, so I got to go ride tomorrow, whatever the weather! So what setup are you riding these days? ...... headed into the drizzle for show chow now ....... dennis

Hi Dennis, sounds like a great idea, I'd definitely tune in to that one!

I'm running the same setup I"ve had for quite a few years now, minus the Attrax.

When I left the north I sold most of my snow stuff including my track and ski, but kept the spiked tires. Now that I'm back, I had to gear up again.
I contacted the company that sells the skis and they told me that they stopped manufacturing them. After a bit of pleading I managed to get their last ski from them, a demo unit that they had in the shop. I popped that on along with my spiked tires and I was good to go. So far I’m not planning on getting another track, but time will tell.

Welcome back! Still have the 400?

Hey SXP, yes, I still have the 400, and it's back to a 400 now. I had a 430 kit installed but the cylinder came apart, most likely from the cold. I went back to stock for reliability.

I did have a slight problem a couple of months ago
Posted Image
but it's all good now.

Here's a shot from this morning's ride.

Posted Image

• SXP

Posted November 24, 2007 - 07:36 PM

I did have a slight problem a couple of months ago
Posted Image
but it's all good now.

Looks nasty:eek:

I ran out of adjustment on the right intake on one of my 400s. I think that head had close to 20K miles on it. I replaced the entire head with something I picked up cheap here on TT.

• Frostbite

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Looks nasty:eek:

I ran out of adjustment on the right intake on one of my 400s. I think that head had close to 20K miles on it. I replaced the entire head with something I picked up cheap here on TT.

I found a shop in Quebec that has been rebuilding a lot of heads. Since you can't buy valve seats, they machine their own. They replaced the damaged seat and installed 5 new valves and guides. I finally got the head back and bolted it on, crackin' to get riding again. No deals though, the new valves were longer than the original and all of my shims were too thick. I ordered a full set from Hotcams and they took another month to get here.

I have hotcams intake and exhaust cams so I also ordered a degree wheel from them, and found that the intake cam was off 25 degrees. This could've caused the valve to hit the piston (happened WFO in top gear) or the adjustable sprocket could've slipped on the cam when the valve hit the piston, hard to say.

A positive that came out of this is I now know how to degree in my cams, so I feel a lot more confident than I did lining up the marks in the sprockets with the valve cover mating surface. They never seemed to be bang on.

Posted Image

• Chas_M

Posted November 27, 2007 - 02:03 PM

Thanks mate, you happen to know what colour the wire is coming off the generator? Just to make it even easier for me

Try measuring the AC output of each wire while the engine is running to determine which of the wires to use.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.