heated grips?

69 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted November 12, 2004 - 09:07 AM

What kind of extension does the CRF swing-arm have that is going around the rear wheel?

Posted Image

Rode my bike to work today. 32 degrees out there, and the grip warmers made it tolerable.

Barely.

:cry:

• beezer

Posted November 12, 2004 - 09:19 AM

Those are to hold up the fenders on ice racing bikes. They mount a 2nd fender close to the tires. Its supposed to keep body parts away from the spikes.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 12, 2004 - 09:23 AM

Actually that is a german WWII replica helmet with the spike on the top. speared the Dew can onto it....

DEW THE DEW!! :cry:

You are thinking of the early WWI helmets. My theory is that the germans fanally figured out that by this time you can't really get close enough to someone to spear them with your noggin, so they quit using them. :cry: :cry: Seriously though, they did away with them in WWI.

Just wanted to add that cool fact..... And now back to the feature presentation- heateg grips. :cry:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 12, 2004 - 12:47 PM

Those are to hold up the fenders on ice racing bikes. They mount a 2nd fender close to the tires. Its supposed to keep body parts away from the spikes.

Yea what he said :cry:

I think he had 1" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum straping that he used to hold the fenders on. Bent them to fit and somehow bolted them on. I hear that trials fenders work very well for tire fenders. I think they used an acerbis universal fit rear mx fender for those that you see there.

Man Ive got 3 good pictures of that but cant post them. My imagestation is full and I cant upload no more... :cry: Time to delete some stuff.

• BrandonW

Posted November 12, 2004 - 12:57 PM

Makes sense. Now I look at the front wheel on the DRZ, and it is all much more obvious, though I did not see it the first time.

I think I'd like some of that ice racing.

Posted Image

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 12, 2004 - 01:03 PM

Now I look at the front wheel on the DRZ, and it is all much more obvious

Must not of been all that obvious.... That DRZ is really a CRF450 :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Posted Image

• BrandonW

Posted November 12, 2004 - 01:08 PM

Yellow=DRZ

Red=CRF.

Don't you know nothin'?

(Ok, that DOES look like a CRF. My skills at observation are obviously LACKING!)

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 12, 2004 - 05:30 PM

Yellow=DRZ

Red=CRF.

Don't you know nothin'?

(Ok, that DOES look like a CRF. My skills at observation are obviously LACKING!)

Fooled me. :cry:

Does normal grip glue work with the grip heater elements? What I mean is can you change grips (remove the heaters) and still be able to re-use the elements? What glues do you guys use?

• Chas_M

Posted November 16, 2004 - 11:26 AM

Yessssssssssssssssssir !!

First ride with the heated grip. What a change !

I reinstalled my battery in the circuit to damper the charge and I wired the grips to the battery. I still have to find a pair of glove with a windstopper top and thin inside. MSR cold pro was suggested to me, I'll look into it.

The right grip gets much warmer than the clutch side, as I've been told. I tried to put aluminium foil with the shine on top under black elecrtical tape to reflect the heat away from the handlebar. But it didn't resist the installation process, so I finished the job with black tape only. I will continue my quest to find a way to correct this effect.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the set up. I just can't wait for the early spring rides and the late fall rides amd why not the winter rides with the stuuded tires :cry:.

But when will I do the winter teardown on the bike ? :cry:

Thanks for all your inputs guys. :cry:

The best way to deal with the uneven heat distribution due to the heat sink effects of the clutch side grip is to go with the Dual Star hot grips. Without right and left specific heating elements, the best (and easiest) way that I have found to get even heat is to silicone glue an extra throttle tube to the clutch side for insulation. The only disadvantage here is that it requires two throttle side grips, but it really does work well.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 17, 2004 - 09:40 AM

I can see where that would be an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FineDesignz

Posted November 20, 2006 - 11:45 AM

You guys have any good threads or tips for installing heated grips on a CRF450R?

I've heard it can be done... but am skeptical.

• spidennis

Posted November 20, 2006 - 01:09 PM

You guys have any good threads or tips for installing heated grips on a CRF450R?

I've heard it can be done... but am skeptical.

You replied to a post that's two year old, but it shows you're using the search feature! ..... and those guys have long since frozen to death .... and mistaken for those long lost WWII fly boys that crashed up in some mountain somehere ...

• Math

Posted November 21, 2006 - 09:09 AM

You replied to a post that's two year old, but it shows you're using the search feature! ..... and those guys have long since frozen to death .... and mistaken for those long lost WWII fly boys that crashed up in some mountain somehere ...

I'm still alive:thumbsup: and I can confirm Sylvain is still alive since we had diner together last saturday:)

• spidennis

Posted November 21, 2006 - 09:24 AM

I'm still alive:thumbsup: and I can confirm Sylvain is still alive since we had diner together last saturday:)

I had you being famous at least for a few minutes ......

• Math

Posted November 23, 2006 - 07:50 AM

LOL! Thanks! LOL!

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:36 PM

I've been running a cheap set of heaters on my WR for a couple winters now. I would think the only issue with a CRF would be having enough power to run the grips. If you have the juice, then it won't be an issue. I took the heaters I've been running off this fall to replace them with a set of DualStar heaters, but just haven't gotten the heaters yet. Granted I'm at school so I'm not riding the bike anyway.

• ninthrazor

Posted November 16, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Just a quickie, I have a 2000 YZ426 not the WR426 or anything with the extra lighting and what not. My question is: Will my YZ426 have enough output to supply power to heated grips, or will I have to upgrade to a lighting coil/stator? Thanks a lot.

• chambers

Posted November 17, 2007 - 10:07 AM

How do people hook up these grips? I fitted them to my FZ6 but obviously that had a battery, how would I fit it to a WR400 with no battery?

• ninthrazor

Posted November 17, 2007 - 12:00 PM

Well, just as you said there is no battery. this is not a problem because the stator (or often times called a "generator") will provide power when the engine is running. Ususally, an MX bike such as a YZ or a CR, does not have the power output from a stator strong enough to push extra wattage to frivalous items such as grips and lights. They would have to beef up the stators to provide that power, which would add a few ounces of weight to the bike, which is exactly what the manufacturer's are trying to save: weight.

Now, to provide power to the grips, you simply splice in to the wire(s), running directly off the stator but before the CDI, and run a power wire up to your grip switch. From the switch, you run a wire to your grips. Oh, and you also need to ensure you have a regulator (grounded to the frame) that will prevent peak voltage released from your stator (which is normal) that could char your grips, wiring, or both.

Did that help you otu a little bit?

• chambers

Posted November 18, 2007 - 05:37 AM

Thanks mate, you happen to know what colour the wire is coming off the generator? Just to make it even easier for me

I just wanted to check that the generator wouldnt give off to much power for the grips but if its gonn be okay I will be happy.

I had the oxford grips on the FZ6 but they were no good as you completely lost the feel of the bike, what make are the ones that go under the standard grips?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.