heated grips?

69 replies to this topic
  • Sylvain

Posted November 06, 2004 - 11:24 AM

Hi guys,

I just bought a set of stick on heaters. I've been warned by the salesclerk that the power output of the wr426 is not sufficient enough to power the grips on the long run! I may fry the bike's generator because of the constant demand from the grips.

But based on this formum's info I decided to buy the heated grips anyway. But I have remorse, and I want to make sure of the generator's capability before doing the installation. I can add a small battery in the circuit to help the generator. I made this mod to have my bike street legal. I'll isolate the clutch side handlebar and install a zipty to prevent breaking of the throttle side wire.

Is there anything else to be done ?

So what do you think, I'm inclined to do the installation, but I'd like to have second opinions from guys who used heated grips on battery less bikes,(wr 400/426). I'm pretty sure everything will be ok, but IF...

Thanks

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 06, 2004 - 03:21 PM

I'm interested to see what you guys think too. I just installed a set of heaters on my WR400 and it dims the light a bit. I think this is all that will happen but I would like to also hear what you other guys think.

What is the best way to insulate the left grip. I put three or so layers of elec. tape on under the heater pad, but it is still way cooler than the clutch side. What is the most effective technique? :cry:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 08, 2004 - 09:42 AM

Well, I tested my grips out yeasterday when went out two tracking (35deg F), and my hands still froze, even with winter gloves, but not nearly as fast as without them. I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade to the 120watt WR stator. The 80 watt thing in my '99 is just not cutting it. I noticed that if I turned my light off that they got much warmer, but then I was no longer legal on the road. :cry: Anyone got a stator that they don't need?

• Frostbite

Posted November 08, 2004 - 10:43 AM

I usually wear leather gloves with a fleece lining. I turn the gloves inside out and cut the fleece lining away from the inside part of the fingers and palm so there is just leather left when you grab the grip. Insulated gloves defeat the purpose of heated grips and you get a better feel when just the leather is left. The eskimos make their sled mittens with thick fur all around and thin leather at the grip part so the heat from the bar can get through. :cry:
Posted Image

• Sylvain

Posted November 08, 2004 - 11:40 AM

I like your mits :cry:.

• J_DOGG

Posted November 08, 2004 - 01:11 PM

Dont want to hijack the post here but from what I read above.

Hooking up the connector for my sled helmet/heated sheild plug would be OK with out any mods?

I don't want to fog up pulling a wheelie down the lake!

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 09, 2004 - 04:26 AM

I usually wear leather gloves with a fleece lining. I turn the gloves inside out and cut the fleece lining away from the inside part of the fingers and palm so there is just leather left when you grab the grip.

Want to send me a pair of those? :cry:

• Sylvain

Posted November 09, 2004 - 06:48 AM

I installed the stick on heated grips last night. I ripped 2 sets of brand new grips trying to put them on. I finally ended up putting back the old one. The enlarged diameter made it difficult to slip the new grips. It's about 0 deg C today. I'll let you know how it performed.

• Frostbite

Posted November 09, 2004 - 08:17 AM

When I install grips I use an air gun to blow a bit of air between the grip and the bar. I work the tip of the air gun around the inside of the grip. This kinda swells the grip up a bit and I just push on the end and they slip right on. Don't use too much air or the grip will blow up like a balloon and be permanently deformed.
Same thing to pop 'em off.
Be sure to leave slack in the wire of the throttle side heater and make sure it doesn't chafe on the cable housing when you twist the throttle. The wire gets brittle in the cold and doesn't take much to crack it.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 09, 2004 - 10:01 AM

Hi guys,

I just bought a set of stick on heaters. I've been warned by the salesclerk that the power output of the wr426 is not sufficient enough to power the grips on the long run! I may fry the bike's generator because of the constant demand from the grips.

But based on this formum's info I decided to buy the heated grips anyway. But I have remorse, and I want to make sure of the generator's capability before doing the installation. I can add a small battery in the circuit to help the generator. I made this mod to have my bike street legal. I'll isolate the clutch side handlebar and install a zipty to prevent breaking of the throttle side wire.

Is there anything else to be done ?

So what do you think, I'm inclined to do the installation, but I'd like to have second opinions from guys who used heated grips on battery less bikes,(wr 400/426). I'm pretty sure everything will be ok, but IF...

Thanks

The wr 426 stator puts out 130 watts. Should be just fine for your headlight and the grip heaters. The grip heaters only draw like 35 watts. I have the wr stator on my yz 400 and it powered them just fine. Till I broke the throttle side wires off. If the heaters dont get hot enough turn the headlight off. That will help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simch

Posted November 09, 2004 - 10:18 AM

Hey Man, what you doin to that racoon! :cry:

• Sylvain

Posted November 09, 2004 - 01:41 PM

Yessssssssssssssssssir !!

First ride with the heated grip. What a change !

I reinstalled my battery in the circuit to damper the charge and I wired the grips to the battery. I still have to find a pair of glove with a windstopper top and thin inside. MSR cold pro was suggested to me, I'll look into it.

The right grip gets much warmer than the clutch side, as I've been told. I tried to put aluminium foil with the shine on top under black elecrtical tape to reflect the heat away from the handlebar. But it didn't resist the installation process, so I finished the job with black tape only. I will continue my quest to find a way to correct this effect.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the set up. I just can't wait for the early spring rides and the late fall rides amd why not the winter rides with the stuuded tires :cry:.

But when will I do the winter teardown on the bike ? :cry:

Thanks for all your inputs guys. :cry:

• beezer

Posted November 09, 2004 - 02:37 PM

I ordered a set.

Thanks for the report.

• Math

Posted November 09, 2004 - 08:01 PM

I can see you are working hard on that bike Sylvain. I have a pair of cold pro gloves at home. You can borrow them anytime if you want to try em. :cry:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 10, 2004 - 01:21 PM

A buddy of mine put grip heaters on his bike. But he said he just couldn't stay warm for some reason.

Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted November 10, 2004 - 01:47 PM

I see the problem. They say that you loose 90% of your body heat through your head so they just need warmer helmets, and maybe to avoid damaging vital organs - helmet warmers. :cry:

• Math

Posted November 10, 2004 - 03:52 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 10, 2004 - 07:16 PM

:cry: balancing a pop can on his head too! :cry:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 11, 2004 - 07:01 AM

What type of glue do you guys normally use with the heaters? I used contact cement since I have it laying around and it normally works well with the grips, but it didn't hold between the left heater element and the elec. tape I put on the bar. :cry:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 11, 2004 - 06:31 PM

:cry: balancing a pop can on his head too! :cry:

Actually that is a german WWII replica helmet with the spike on the top. speared the Dew can onto it....

DEW THE DEW!! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.