heated grips?

69 replies to this topic
  • carnutsx2

Posted October 28, 2004 - 07:03 PM

anyone put them on a WR426? hoping to extend the season

• Beta_Man

Posted October 28, 2004 - 07:06 PM

Had a set on my 450 last year, works good, kept the hands nice and toasty even at -30C.

• Frostbite

Posted October 29, 2004 - 05:36 AM

I have Renthall bars with twist throttle on both my bike and my sled. I installed sled handlebar heaters under my Renthal grips and they work great and have 3 heat settings.
I also have one in my GPS case to keep it from freezing. On the sled I connect it to the factory thumb heater control since I don't have the thumb throttle and I can adjust the heat depending on the temp so I don't boil the LCD.

Posted Image

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 29, 2004 - 06:28 AM

Hell no wonder you ride in shorts and t-shirt with no gloves in permafrost country! :cry: So thats your secret Frostbite! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Sylvain

Posted October 29, 2004 - 08:28 AM

Good topic :cry:

I'm also thinking about a set of heated grip for my wr 426. I was wondering about the electrical power output of a stock bike. Is it enough ?

How much power does a set of heated grip need to work ?

I just bought a set of studded tires and the heated grips would be nice. :cry:

• BrandonW

Posted October 29, 2004 - 09:00 AM

I think that the heated grips are around 20 watts on low, and 30 on high.

I just wired them into my bike this past weekend, as we are doing a 24 hour race, and I don't want cold fingers at 2 am!

I think that the bike (426) puts out about 120 watts.

I am currently running the 55/60 watt headlight, helmet mounted light (LeadDog, 35 watts) and the grip warmers. If I run them on HIGH, it bogs the lights down a bit, but if I have the warmers on low, everything is firing good.

Very much worth the effort.

:cry:

• Sylvain

Posted October 29, 2004 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Brandonw
Now my next question is :

Is there a brandname or type of heated grips better than others ?

• BrandonW

Posted October 29, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Is there a brandname or type of heated grips better than others ?

Maybe, but I don't know what it is. I just went to a local snowmobile shop, and took what they had. I think I paid around $25 for them ($25.08 canadian :cry:) and as long as the wires hold up, they will be keeping my hands toasty warm.

:cry:

• Beta_Man

Posted October 29, 2004 - 12:09 PM

The ones we have been using are called hotgrips. They are the entire grip I find that they heat your hands better than the ones that stick to your bars and mount under the stock grips. When its -30C and going 140km/h making it about -70C or more you want all the heat you can get.

• RMarkus

Posted October 29, 2004 - 01:48 PM

I use the Dual Star heated grips. I have them on my street bike and they work great. I am considering putting them on my WR426.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted October 30, 2004 - 09:53 AM

A nice feature of the Dual Star hot grips is that the heaters are dedicated to the right and left side, i.e. the clutch side heater takes into account the heat sink effects of the clutch side handlebar and therefore puts out more heat than the throttle side. For Dual Star, click here.

• blireef

Posted October 30, 2004 - 10:41 AM

We put them on for the colorado 500 two years ago and they saved our butts when it started snowing. You won't believe how much they help!! :cry:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted October 30, 2004 - 06:21 PM

The ones we have been using are called hotgrips. They are the entire grip I find that they heat your hands better than the ones that stick to your bars and mount under the stock grips. When its -30C and going 140km/h making it about -70C or more you want all the heat you can get.

I'm assuming that the throttle grip is a larger dia. for the throttle tube? I have seen the heated grips (all one unit) that fit ATV bars with a thumb throttle but I haven't seen them for twist throttles.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 31, 2004 - 06:41 PM

I installed the Kimpex units on my YZ400 last year (wr lighting coil) and founf 2 problems.

1. The wires on the throtle side broke off from the constant twisting. I knew this was gona be a problem and tried to make a strain relief with the grip flange but it didn't work and the wires broke off.

2. The clutch side of the bar sucks the heat away from the grip. The aluminum bar acts as a heat sink and draws the heat away from your hand. YOu need to wrap black tape around the bar before you install the heater element. That or heat shrink tube. Point is that you have to insulate the heater element away from the bar (like the throttle tube does on the other side)

• poodledumpster

Posted October 31, 2004 - 07:44 PM

you northerners are hard-core! in colorado we pack in the tool belt and moto and head south. to many knee ops to ski. anyone for argentina. ill get back with some fotos to warm u up. vincent

• Sylvain

Posted November 01, 2004 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the tip YZ man. :cry:

I'm certain it be useful considering the temperature we have here during the winter. I don't plan to ride at -30 C, but from freezing point to -15 C it shouldn't be too bad. Plastics tend to be fragile at low temp :cry:.

I was just about to install a set of heated grip to go along with my studded tires. Do you have any suggestion to prevent the broken wire on the throttle side ? Or you may have a better choice of brand ?

• Wacko

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:30 AM

Sylvain,

I have used the Kimpex heaters for a number of years. On the throttle side I use a small zip-tie and tie the wires to the flange of the grip so they don't flex and break at the solder joint.

I used to roll the heaters up and stick them inside the handlebars with the wires coming out of a hole drilled at the base of the bars (between the handlebar mounts). No wires to break but the grips don't get as warm. Worked great for spring and fall but not warm enough for winter riding.

Stay warm,

Wayne

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 01, 2004 - 09:23 AM

It there a trick to glueing on the grips with the heater elements so that the elments can be removed when summer come back around, and with out destroying them?

• Wacko

Posted November 01, 2004 - 12:21 PM

Slide a thin flat screwdriver between the grip and heater element a little bit. Squirt some WD40 in and work the screwdriver around until you can twist the grip off. I've been able to reuse mine no problem.

Wayne

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 01, 2004 - 01:54 PM

I have thought about that, but I didn't know how durrable the things are. I have ripped grips up before, by not being careful enough.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.