Rear Sprocket teeth? How many missing is bad?

24 replies to this topic
  • BIGGITY

Posted October 27, 2004 - 12:32 PM

I was looking at my rear sprocket and about 9 teeth are ground down to nothing (worst part has 3 missing in a row and then 1 good tooth and then 1 more gone). How bad is this for your bike? How many teeth are normally missing before all you guys buy a replacement?

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted October 27, 2004 - 12:54 PM

.......um....none. A good rule of thumb is to change sprockets anytime you change a chain. You should change your sprocket as soon as you see wear on that bad boy. You be pissed if your chain jumps and busts up your case.

• resslera

Posted October 27, 2004 - 01:08 PM

Good lord I don't think I've ever seen a sprocket worn that bad on any bike. I know I won't be changing my sprocket as soon as I see wear because my bike has about 100 miles on it and the rear sprocket is already showing wear. May be because my rear wheel was slightly off center

• BWB63

Posted October 27, 2004 - 01:08 PM

If you are missing one tooth you went way past changing your chain and sprockets! :cry: :cry: If you want long wear at the lowest price get a steel sprocket for a CR250 or CRF450 (same sprocket) from here:
Click here for rear sprocket
and
For front sprocket Click Here

For chain click here

Or for cheeper chain click here

RK+520+Gold+X%2DRING+Chain~~~' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>This is a real good chain for the money...click here
This is the best prices I can find and the longest wearing for the money :cry: :cry:

• BIGGITY

Posted October 27, 2004 - 01:47 PM

BWB, I have the D.I.D chain (ERT I think). I'm going to go buy a new sprocket today from what you guys are telling me. Front sprocket is all good. Just the back one is a disaster. I'll take a digi pic of it tonight and post it so you can see it.

So what is generally the toughest, longest lasting sprocket? (cost not an issue but don't need gold plated or any $*it like that) :cry:

• BIGGITY

Posted October 27, 2004 - 03:47 PM

Also how do I check to see if the chain needs replacement? It looks in good shape to me but I don't know sh*t. What are the typical signs of wear and tear? :cry:

• RocaFellaRanger

Posted October 27, 2004 - 04:22 PM

Bruce, do XR650L sprockets work on 600s? I switched from a 43T rear to a 48T. Big difference, but a little high on the road. I'm looking for a 45T and the ones for 650L's are way cheaper-probably because thats stock gearing. :cry:

• Rokatt88

Posted October 27, 2004 - 04:30 PM

BWB, I have the D.I.D chain (ERT I think). I'm going to go buy a new sprocket today from what you guys are telling me. Front sprocket is all good. Just the back one is a disaster. I'll take a digi pic of it tonight and post it so you can see it.

So what is generally the toughest, longest lasting sprocket? (cost not an issue but don't need gold plated or any $*it like that) :cry:

Go with Iron Man - Strong & light! :cry:

Sounds like your current sprocket is becoming a "Gummer"!

• BIGGITY

Posted October 27, 2004 - 06:06 PM

Hey Rokkatt, what would be the typical bike performance issues you would notice from having a "gummer" (worn out) sprocket? (i.e. herky jerky when throttling? etc..)

Btw when you have a chance could you shoot me that e-mail about what you claimed your bike to be when you went and picked up your plate (custom something or another?)? I'm going to try to get mine DS'd. Appreciate it Huckleberry :cry:

• malevolent73

Posted October 27, 2004 - 06:31 PM

Hey Biggity... If you don't know this, it is reccomended that you change all three parts at the same time!!! any good mechanic will tell you the same thing!!!! A chain wears with the sprockets, they are meant to wear together as a set... therefore you should change them as a set. I just bought a set from sidewinder sprockets! check them out at www.sidewindersprockets.com I got the Big Bore survival kit, ti-moly sprockets, and titanium chain. they claim that their stuff will last 3-4 times as long as any other sprockets. they also have stainless, and tool steel, check'em out!!! :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted October 27, 2004 - 07:03 PM

If you have an ERT and not a EVR2 it's shot! You need at leasest and O-ring chain...I found out the hard way.

• BWB63

Posted October 27, 2004 - 07:07 PM

I like and run the IronMan Best price is here:
IronMan Sprockets Click Here

Your bad sprocket has ruined your chain and front sprocket to the point that they inturn will ruin what ever back sproctet you put on the bike....change all three.

• smashinz2002

Posted October 27, 2004 - 08:10 PM

What?? Dude, I have no idea how you could have worn out the sprocket that badly. Unless you are running the chain WAY too tight.
I mean my bike is a '00 model 650R, with the original stock chain and sprockets, with over 5000 miles on it. And the sprockets and chain are showing some wear, but nothing major at all, like missing teeth or ground off teeth.
You have some other sort of problem going on with that bike, probably running the chain way, way too tight, or having the rear wheel very seriously out of alignment. Oh yeah and having the chain too tight puts a HUGE amount of stress on the countershaft bearing.
Good luck with it!
LL.
'00XR650R
'04KX500

• big t

Posted October 27, 2004 - 08:22 PM

I took my 400 out for ride last year before I got the 650 and on the last ride of the day I was going up a hill and heard a strange sound and felt like something slipping. Well I got to the top and looked the bike over. It took me a minute to realize that the CS sprocket had no teeth left on it. I took it easy and got it back to the truck. It looked worn before the ride but damn. Chain was not to tight. Just a worn out sprocket. I changed the chain and sprockets but the chain was a DID o-ring and it still looked good. I don't think you need to change the chain everytime unless it is a non o-ring chain.

• BWB63

Posted October 27, 2004 - 08:49 PM

Dosen't have anything to do with looks but, the wear! The wear of the old chain will bring the new sprockets to it's wear real fast with in a few hundered mile. Lets say it only has 20% OF it's life gone that's 1/5 of the life of everything gone right to start! You already wasted the money you saved! and it is worn way worse than that be sure of it. The counter shaft sprocket always looks the best but, put's the most wear on the chain. If money is the problem buy the steal sprockets for both at $24 about $30 with shipping.........and $50 for a chain and be done for a long time. Why make more problems for the XR650R?

• JackAttack

Posted October 27, 2004 - 09:05 PM

What?? Dude, I have no idea how you could have worn out the sprocket that badly.

He could have broken the sprocket teeth off by hitting a rock. It does'nt have to be from wear. I've broken teeth off the back sprocket by landing on some rocks in the trail.

You should change both sprockets and chain at one time. :cry:

Biggity,
Do yourself a favor and read the bikes manual. If you did'nt get one with your bike, then borrow one and go through it once. There is a ton of good info in there on how to keep the bike runnin right, and you safe. :cry:

• BIGGITY

Posted October 28, 2004 - 06:42 AM

Yeah I have the manual and have been going through it. I was just doing some routine matienence (oil/air cleaning chain etc..) when I noticed the sprockets. I'm going to get the full set. Ironman sprockets and a new D.I.D o-ring chain. Appreciate all the info guys. Have a good weekend! :cry:

• BIGGITY

Posted October 28, 2004 - 06:44 AM

BWB, when I go home for lunch I'll check the chain to see what type it is. :cry:

• BWB63

Posted October 28, 2004 - 07:13 AM

I really liked the DID EVR2 that I have...I am going to try the RK 520 Gold X-RING Chain This season. It is to have the highest tensile strength of 8,500 and it's lower price sounds to good to be true but, I am giving it a try. DID EVR2 X-Ring is 8,250 tensile strength and that is said to be the best chain :cry:
I have it here just haven't changed it yet. I have all the new stuff here 15/49 and 15/47 Ironman and the RK chain. I ran that Dyno run and to keep everything the same as the other bike that have been on the dyno I put 14/48 so, I haven't change it all yet.

• Rokatt88

Posted October 28, 2004 - 07:30 AM

Btw when you have a chance could you shoot me that e-mail about what you claimed your bike to be when you went and picked up your plate (custom something or another?)? I'm going to try to get mine DS'd. Appreciate it Huckleberry :cry:

Roger That! :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.