upgrade 99WR to 01 WR

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Spudman_*

Posted July 07, 2001 - 07:31 AM

I thought I would pose this question to the grue experts before I go and get a sales pitch at a dealership.

I have a 99WR that I have taken good care of and it runs great, however I am feeling the need to trade it in for a 2001 model. Don't ask me why, I think its just a need for new toys. What would I gain by the trade besided shiny new pastic.

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 07, 2001 - 01:26 PM

Sqave your cash Dude. If you want, send your suspension off to mx-tech. Go for the 420 big bore kit through Eric Gorr. This will be under $1000, total.

Or just wait until Yamaha re-vamps the WR in 2003 and Honda's 450XR-R (?) is released and magazine tested.

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• Bill

Posted July 07, 2001 - 02:02 PM

Exactly what Kevin said. Save your money for a BIG change, like the bike loosing 20 pounds.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Jason

Posted July 09, 2001 - 03:44 AM

Yhea, if you have too, just get the 01 seat and some 426 stickers, no one will know the differance! :)

• mcarp

Posted July 10, 2001 - 05:34 AM

If you've taken good care of it, and it runs well--don't worry about it. Yup, wait for a drastic improvement. Or spend some cash on the one you have now that you KNOW you'll be able to transfer parts over to a new bike. Seat/tank,damper, bars, guards, pipe etc

Some new bearings, tires and TLC will make the bike feel new again.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 10, 2001 - 01:52 PM

I bitched and moaned when my riding partner bought a 01 WR426. I thought he'd walk away from me on my 99 WR400. My fears were unfounded and we are both having a great time trading paint at every corner. Save your money if the bike runs great. The additional benefits are nominal. Don't get me wrong, the WR426 kicks butt and a nice new bike is always great.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.