rear disc

13 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted October 26, 2004 - 11:27 PM

anyone got a spare rear disc laying around? (wrf400) i cant find one cheap anywhere? :cry:

• dez4ever

Posted October 27, 2004 - 09:38 AM

I just had to buy one for my 04 WR, $128.99 . Good luck on finding a cheap one...I couldn't!!

• 5valve

Posted October 27, 2004 - 11:46 PM

in Europe, Austria the cheapest available discs are 85 USD
www.auner.at
in EU they ship for 13$, dont know about overseas

• DesertChris

Posted October 28, 2004 - 12:48 AM

Is $49.95US cheap enough?
http://www.rockymountainmc.com catalog> brake rotors> titax yamaha
I tried it as an experiment when I bent my stock one, it has worked fine for the last year. That year included a season of desert racing. It's not stainless but it only showed signs of suface rust when I was at Pismo dunes (on the Pacific coast) for a week.

Didn't see you where in Australia when I posted, maybe still a good deal if they ship there.

• Brettv

Posted October 28, 2004 - 12:58 AM

thanks for all the replies guys :cry:

• 5valve

Posted October 28, 2004 - 01:10 AM

they look like they come in mcdonalds food pack
Posted Image
but if they work, why not :cry:
pity they dont ship to EU (maybe they do, just contacting)

I think stainless is not used for rotors, exact material type for quality discs is "X155CrVMo12" or "OCR 12 VN" and in original state it is quite soft (26 rockvels (HRC)) so it needs aditional hardenig up to 45 HRC

• RCannon

Posted October 28, 2004 - 03:54 AM

If you must fins a used one, I believe the one for the 97 YZ 125 and 250 will fit your bike. Is it a 220 mm disc??? If so, your ok.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted October 28, 2004 - 07:31 AM

$90 + S&H from White Brothers through the TT Store. Motomaster OEM replacement. Or you can get the "Swiss Cheese" ultralight version for $126 + S&H. I like the ultralight alot, I had one on my KTM Supermoto & it along with the motomaster pads offered excellent feel.

• Brettv

Posted October 29, 2004 - 10:41 PM

righto, another question, is it worth getting an oversize rotor for the front? :cry:

• luke_n

Posted October 30, 2004 - 03:05 PM

I was considering an oversized front rotor for mine but decided to try the braided brake line first cause mine felt more soft than underpowered. The difference was pretty noticible and my bike is fairly new, i can imagine after five or so years yours would definately be swelling under hard braking. Also i think these brakes are a bastard to bleed the only way i could get all the air out was to leave the lever and master cylinder hanging from the roof so all the air came up then i bled it at the banjo bolt on the master cylinder.

• DesertChris

Posted October 30, 2004 - 03:37 PM

Oversized front rotor:
pros:
Beter mechanical advatage, less effort and more braking ability.
Larger disk surface, slight advantage in heat dissipation.

cons:
Rotor is larger thus more prone to damage, closer to the ground and edge is farther from the mounting hub.
If not included with the rotor an addapter is need to space the caliper out.
Not sure if the factory Yamaha brake line will work.

• 5valve

Posted October 31, 2004 - 12:08 AM

due to bigger surface, they last longer too

• DesertChris

Posted October 31, 2004 - 10:32 AM

Here is a couple of pictures of the Titax rear disc.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• poodledumpster

Posted October 31, 2004 - 08:37 PM

a company called titax makes an economic rear disc for around $50 and ebc has one for around $90 that will fit your ride. better than a groovy used one to match your old pad. check tt or rockymountainatv.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.