Knock on my 2000 but not the counter-balancer key

6 replies to this topic
  • mxcowboy

Posted October 26, 2004 - 07:47 PM

I've developed a knock on the lower right hand side of my bike. So I tore down that side expecting to find the counter-balancer loose but it was tight as a drum. :cry: There is no play on the end of the crankshaft either but I guess it still could be crank bearing (I don't want to hear that :cry:) so I figured I would throw it out here and see what everybody else thought of it before I start tearing it down.

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2004 - 10:58 PM

Have you checked the flywheel? Check the stator, too. There was a recent post by someone with a 450 who had a cam chain guide break loose and run against the balancer, I believe.

• yz426onNOS

Posted October 27, 2004 - 07:22 PM

Not to hurt your feelers, but did you check the right gear?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxcowboy

Posted October 27, 2004 - 08:32 PM

Not to hurt your feelers, but did you check the right gear?

No feelings hurt here. You don't know how many times it's the simple things that you overlook.
I've got it totally torn down now the counter-balancer key looks brand new, I have a little play in it where it slides on the crank(it doesn't press down in there), The rod is tight and no play in the ends of the crank. Piston isn't showing any signs of slapping so I'm totally lost.

• yz426onNOS

Posted October 27, 2004 - 09:20 PM

How about the transmission? And the clutch? You might have wear on the gear teeth.

• mxcowboy

Posted October 27, 2004 - 09:33 PM

How about the transmission? And the clutch? You might have wear on the gear teeth.

Transmission--- Not down that far.YET
Clutch--- New basket and all new gears on the right side about a year ago from clutch basket exploding.

• Bryan47

Posted October 28, 2004 - 12:09 AM

I had the same problem with my 2000 426, I checked the gears on the right side and didn't notice anything, so I pulled the motor and tore it completly down, found not a single problem with the transmission either.... I rechecked everything 4 times...then one day I took another look and found one of the gears on the right side of the crank had a old broken piece of gear tooth go through it. :cry: And I thought I looked it over really good. Not to sound like a smart ass, but I'd check over those gears again...You may be doing the same thing I did. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.