Feedback on Jardine exhaust - product and customer service

3 replies to this topic
  • RippinInColorado

Posted October 25, 2004 - 08:01 PM

I put a Jardine exhaust on my 03 YZ450 and was very happy with the performance improvements. I made numerous TT posts about my Jardine system - the great power, the clean design, ease of mounting, quality components.

The bracket holding the muffler hear the seat bolt broke after a couple of months. I don't remember exactly how long. It broke during a race and I didn't realize it. The resulting waving up and down bent the mid-pipe and wallowed out the head pipe. I called Jardine and they told me the early brackets were weak, they claimed to have fixed it by adding a little hump in the angle that strengthened it. They sent me a new bracket and a new mid-pipe. They had me return the head pipe; they re-rounded it and sent it back. I was happy.

The replacement bracket broke recently. It was on a regular ride day (not a race day) and friends noticed it so I stopped riding before damaging the pipe. It ruined my day.

I called Jardine. They said they would send a replacement bracket. They wanted $15. I was of the opinion it is still a defective design and thought it should be free. I almost never crash (44 years old, can't afford to) and have never bent the pipe or bracket. The mounting brackets of other exhaust systems don't break periodically. But I agreed to pay.

The new bracket showed up. It is steel instead of aluminum. It is two layers of steel welded together at the mounting hole (where the previous brackets broke) and a double layer of steel about a quarter of the way around on each side. Much beefier. Appears to be a good design; I don't think this one will break.

But it is obvious they didn't weld this one up just for me. Clearly, I'm not the only one that has experienced breakage. Their product had a defective design in the mounting bracket and they fixed it long after selling me my system. I called back and told them that. And that I didn't feel I should have to pay for the now-correctly designed bracket. They haven't returned my call.

I'm now posting to let everyone know their customer service stops about $15 short of satisfactory. The first bracket should have been designed for the stress of motocross racing. It wasn't. They replaced it with a better design. But still not good enough. The second bracket should have lasted the life of the muffler. But it broke and ruined my day. :cry:

Jardine should have replaced the bracket for free. It is pretty petty of them to charge me $15 for ruining my ride day. I've only been able to ride about once a month this year for various reasons. It was quite a bummer to have the bracket break after the 2nd short session on the track. Not to mention the $12 gate fee I had already paid.

Thanks, Jardine, for an almost great product. And thanks, Jardine, for almost great customer service. But you fell a little short in both areas. I am disappointed.

• HIGH COMPRESSION

Posted March 09, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Now Ya Got Me Worried. I Just Got A Jardine Slip On But Havent Had A Chance To Really Ride It Due To Good Ol Michigan Winters. We Had A Few Nice Days And I Took It Down The Road A Few Times And I Loved It. But Damn We Can't Be Having Parts Breaking. I Would Understand If You Were Doing A 50mph Wheelie And Loop It And Taco Your Pipe Up But Not In Everyday Riding. I'm Gonna Ask Jardine About The Replacement Bracket. Thanks For The Info.
High Compression
Yz450 Jardine Rt4 (at The Moment In One Piece)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saucebox

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:42 PM

did you guys have to re-jet for the jardine exhaust?? I am thinking about this exhaust. do you have a full exhaust or just a slip on?

• Chazlom

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:11 PM

Rippin,

I haven’t had mine break, yet, but the integrity of the clamp is definitely questionable. I just don’t seem strong enough to hold the pipe in place, I can grab the tip and the pipe moves from side to side, enough to where the tire will rub it, or it’s pushing against the plastic side panel, not flopping around but just loose enough that riding can move it back and forth. Currently I just use the Jardine when I go to Glamis so I'm not too worried about it, but I will be looking at doing something to reinforce the bracket.

On the Customer Service side I have had a good and a so-so experience. I also got one of the Gen one RT-4's that came with a defective sparky screen, when I had them take a look at it (I live 20 miles from Jardine) they "gave" me the improved version that had a dome screen tip. I thought that was good CS.
The so-so experience was when I went to them to buy the "Jardine Repack Kit" they charged me $30 bucks, when I got home to repack it was the same stuff I could buy in any MX part store for $15. I felt a bit ripped off.

Chaz,

Oh yeh, Sauce, My carb doesn’t have jets, so I couldn't answer your question. But I do two clicks richer on my carb for the Jardine compared to my WB e2.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.