To Grease Or Not To Grease?

7 replies to this topic
  • Rokatt88

Posted September 16, 2002 - 02:58 PM

OK...Here's a question for you Riders Of The Great Red Pig. Do you grease or not grease the rim of your filter? I ride in the So. Cal. Dez. and wasn't greasing, inside of the airbox was fine. Then I had the first 600 mile service done at my dealer and they greased it. The airbox was still fine inside but now there was severe dirt spooge all along the rim of the air box. I am again running W/O grease and all seems well. Also running No Toil. Wow, what a difference cleaning filters is with No Toil. I liike it a lot! Any input or comments?

• Moredesert

Posted September 16, 2002 - 03:05 PM

I never greased the air box but do the air filter rim. Now the XR650 is new and is different from the other bikes I have. I use No Toil too and might start greasing the air box because of the filter design. It can't hurt and no toil cleans up nice so what the heck.

Mike

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted September 16, 2002 - 04:50 PM

No Toil is really cool. I grease mine like????? Well you get the idea. Even with a little grease I had dirt in my air boot. with heavy grease I see none.

• loufish

Posted September 16, 2002 - 04:59 PM

I replaced my stock element with a Uni, but it fits funny on the XR650R, sso I put a small bend in it, and run a silicone grease around the edge of the element itself to give it a good seal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rokatt88

Posted September 18, 2002 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys. One thing I really like about the No Toil is that once I've mixed up a batch of the cleaner in a bucket and have cleaned the filter, you can dip a rag into the solution and clean up the rim of the airbox and the inside of the side panel. Cleans up niiiiice! I'm going to get the No Toil grease and give it a whurl.

Go Pig Racer, Go!

• thumptoy

Posted September 18, 2002 - 09:27 PM

I have a uni, I also put a little bead of grease around the bottom of the filter. I have no prob.
I don't use no toil, but it sounds good.
I think I will try some though.

• motometal

Posted September 18, 2002 - 05:08 PM

There's nothing wrong with greasing, but I don't think it's necessary unless the metal ring and the plastic inner frame are severely mismatched or out of flat. You can get an idea of how they fit together by intalling the plastic frame without a filter element. As long as the foam is compressed a bit when you tighten down the wing nut, it should seal, grease or no grease.

• Big_D

Posted September 20, 2002 - 07:29 PM

I use the No-Toil and it works great! I only grease the edges of my Uni filter at the air inlet, where the black bar of the cover would be. This pluggs the filter at the air inlet to minimize the amount of dirt that can bypass the filter along that intake edge. Just my 2 cents.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.